Ducklings arriving next week!

I would deffinately call a plumber and see what it would cost to install an outside tap.
My partner won’t like this. 😬 We just bought our house this past summer. It was built in 1850, and needs a lot of work! I’ll have better luck saying I need it for gardening than for my ducks, I wager.

I highly recommend puppy pee pads for bedding the first few weeks. That way you can just roll them up and replace. Keeps smell to a minimu m, especially inside. They are $15 for a hundred at Costco. For some reason mine start eating them at about 4 or 5 weeks and I watch over to pine shavings.
I’m an RN, so I’ve access to chucks pads. Same thing. Great idea!

My partner won’t like this. 😬 We just bought our house this past summer. It was built in 1850, and needs a lot of work! I’ll have better luck saying I need it for gardening than for my ducks, I wager.

Do you have a well? We also live in a c. 1850s house, which is now on town water, but we found a bonus well on the property! We use the well for gardening and livestock.

Anyone try anything like these (I’ve attached pics from an image search, I do not own them) diy duckling waterers that I keep seeing all over the internet? They seem popular, but I worry about their necks getting stuck, or them falling in.
Those are perfect! I used them when they are young! I actually cut out the milk jug and put in a juice container. Here is a video of how to make what I've been using for my ducklings.

Well, to be fair, ducks actually are pretty useful for gardening (natural fertilizer produces plus they eat bugs and slugs) - as long as whatever you're trying to grow is outside their "snarf range."

As far as keeping the pool water clean, maybe someone else here has an idea, but I figure it's mostly a lost cause. Something with an inflow/outflow might work, but standing water that ducks use is basically going to be a toilet. Honestly, I've had the thought that if I ever do get ducklings, I'm going to let them swim in one of our toilets. We almost never use it, so we almost never have to use chemicals/etc to clean it. And any water they get into is going to get used as a toilet anyway.

They make super simple parts, solder free copper connections, frost proof spigots. Tell him its so you can wash his car 😉

See, it sounds kind of gross (though ducks habitually swim in water filled with their own crap), but no one has so much as peed in this thing for probably two or three months. We still flush it every week or so, but no poop, no piss, no chemicals. You could probably drink out of it if you wanted to (I don't).

So, I could let a couple three ducklings swim in it for a bit and once they're fished out to be dried, we could just flush the duck-poo away.

Back
Top Bottom