Ducklings died and I’m not sure why. Please help!

The first one that hatched is doing awesome! Crazy little sucker! The second is doing a lot better than last night, definitely weaker than the other. We really didn’t think it was even going to make it through the night. But they’re both in the brooder now cuddling. Also I have the weaker ones legs taped for spraddle leg, hopefully that doesn’t become a big issue.
That's awesome! :yesss: congratulations!

Like what ratio water to sugar? And should I do that instead of the save a chick?

Just a normal small chicken waterer from TSC, I usually use those the first day or 2 with the vitamins and then switch to plain water with a homemade jug or container with a hole cut.
Save a chick is good too also Poultry Nutri drench.
I had 4 Runner ducklings sent through the mail and lost 2 I haven't ever ordered again just too heartbreaking.

The first time I ordered and had shipped, I ordered 2 cayugas, 2 magpies, 2 goslings and 6 chicks. They came a day late. I purposely ordered extra chicks because I know they are typically more fragile and had never lost a duckling yet. I think I lost 2 or 3 of those ducklings and 1 chick. I was shocked. So I ordered again a week later to get the breeds I wanted of ducklings. I ordered extras that time, just ducklings, and everyone survived. So now I have more than I originally wanted but that's ok. I think it really just depends on how strong they are and how their shipping experience goes.
I did decide after that, I probably won't order again online unless there's a specific breed I'm looking for. Otherwise I'm just going to hatch my own mixed breed eggs or buy locally. I just had my heart set on cayugas and more magpies.

The first time I ordered and had shipped, I ordered 2 cayugas, 2 magpies, 2 goslings and 6 chicks. They came a day late. I purposely ordered extra chicks because I know they are typically more fragile and had never lost a duckling yet. I think I lost 2 or 3 of those ducklings and 1 chick. I was shocked. So I ordered again a week later to get the breeds I wanted of ducklings. I ordered extras that time, just ducklings, and everyone survived. So now I have more than I originally wanted but that's ok. I think it really just depends on how strong they are and how their shipping experience goes.
I did decide after that, I probably won't order again online unless there's a specific breed I'm looking for. Otherwise I'm just going to hatch my own mixed breed eggs or buy locally. I just had my heart set on cayugas and more magpies.
I don’t think I will order online again either. It’s been crushing me that they died. But I was in the same boat as you and after a certain breed and couldn’t get any local to me.

@Miss Lydia ive read you help people a lot with the liquid b complex so I’m hoping you can help me with one of my incubated ducklings that’s got spraddle leg. Would the liquid b help with that or no? I’ve got some and never used it so if you think it will help how should I give it and how much?

I would use it along with hobbles. The hobbles will usually take a couple of days and the liquid B will help with giving the vitamins that help make the legs strong.
This will give you the right dose for your little one. I'd give the liquid B complex to any new ducklings. That is what I have done for mine. I put some in their drinking water and if they aren't eating and drinking much yet you can try just dropping some right into the front of the bill let them swallow and do it again.

I would use it along with hobbles. The hobbles will usually take a couple of days and the liquid B will help with giving the vitamins that help make the legs strong.
This will give you the right dose for your little one. I'd give the liquid B complex to any new ducklings. That is what I have done for mine. I put some in their drinking water and if they aren't eating and drinking much yet you can try just dropping some right into the front of the bill let them swallow and do it again.
Ok I will do that with the liquid B. But what is hobbles?

Back
Top Bottom