Ducklings eating rubber fishing lures

desertdarlene

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 4, 2010
San Diego
I think one of the wild mallard ducklings (about 7 weeks old) ate a rubber fishing lure this morning. I'm sure it's not the first time she's done that. Later, she tried to eat another, but I got it away from her. Not long after that, she tried to eat a third one, but just couldn't bite it into smaller pieces. She tried for several minutes before some older, larger ducks saw her with it and tried to take it away from her. I think it finally got dropped underwater.

These are lures that look like worms, etc. I try to pick them up if I see them, but can't watch her all day every day. Will the lures hurt her?

Here's a photo of her right after she ate what I think was the first one:

64797_friendly_duckling_0824.jpg

She was fine a few hours later and was hungry. The first lure was very small, like a small squid.

Last edited:
AS long as it was rubber or plastic it should pass right through her. Metal bits could cause poisoning- or get stuck, but she shouldnt have any problems unless there was a long length of fishing line attached to it as well.

Quote:
Thanks! As far as I could see there were no lines or metal pieces. I figure that ducks probably eat these all the time, but was still worried. This duckling and her sister don't seem too bright.

Yes, just be careful because some lures have hooks built in.
Is this a public pond? If not and its on yours or a friends property can you ask or post a sign for whoever fishes there to pick up their lures?

It's a public lake (reservoir) and game wardens and staff do try to educate the public about picking up their equipment (they have signs around and special receptacles for fishing lines/lures). Plus, they have monthly trash sweeps, but didn't have one this month. I try to pick up anything I see that might hurt the animals, but I often miss a lot of things and am not there every day.

I know this thread was old, but one of my favorite domestic ducks swallowed what looked like a fishing worm today, too. It was small, so it was probably a half of a worm. I hope that there's no hooks in there, but I think there weren't. I checked on him an hour later and he seemed fine.

I came across this tread while searching about fishing worms and ducks.

We also had a muscovy eat a plastic wrapper and was fine. I hope that other duck is OK.

Staff at the lake tell people to pick up their gear, but people are still lazy about doing it.

I know this thread was old, but one of my favorite domestic ducks swallowed what looked like a fishing worm today, too. It was small, so it was probably a half of a worm. I hope that there's no hooks in there, but I think there weren't. I checked on him an hour later and he seemed fine.

I came across this tread while searching about fishing worms and ducks.

We also had a muscovy eat a plastic wrapper and was fine. I hope that other duck is OK.

Staff at the lake tell people to pick up their gear, but people are still lazy about doing it.
It's a problem every where dd. people just don't pick up after themselves and things like this can really cause problems especially if a hook was in there. I hope this one gets it completely through his system and out the other end. Let us know how he is doing.

Thanks. I think he's been at the lake for at least 6 years. I took a photo of him just in case it was the last time I saw him.

I have it on my other computer, so I'll post it when I am able to get to that computer. He looks a lot like a bantam appleyard, but is more mallard-sized. He and his mate, who also looks like an appleyard, had a son who looked just like him, but I haven't seen him lately.

Back
Top Bottom