ducklings: integrating flock, cold weather, adjusting them to cold weather

Pics

emmad783

Chirping
Oct 4, 2018
starting to plan for winter, I have 4 6 month old Pekins, 6 6 week old blue swedish... I have been reading 12-16 weeks for outside (permanently) for the young babies, how do I go about getting them outside with temps dropping??! I read they can’t handle more than 20* changes, if it’s 60f in the house but 35f outside what then?! are they house ducks until spring?! I’m new to ducks, my first winter... they have water in the house with a heater bucket for water !! do I also tarp the entire run??? it’s huge ‍♀️ starting to feel very overwhelmed!! help

What are your temps outside and have the 6 weeks old Swedish been out at all? You do have your 6 month olds out already right have they met the 6 week olds yet. You'll need to do some meeting with both ages and get them use to each other during the day when tempos aren't so frigid if your already experiencing them. But 6 week old already feathered in ducks can be outside you just don't want to toss them into a pen and house with 6 month old Pekins and expect love at first sight.

Like Miss Lydia stated, you would need to slowly introduce your 6 week olds to the older ducks before putting them all in together. As for getting them used to the colder temps, maybe give them a little supervised playtime outside during the day so they can adjust. Then gradually increase the time they spend outside over time. It is recommended that you do tarp the place you are keeping the ducks. If they stay in a coop at night, you could just tarp up the coop. That's what I do with mine. However if it's just a run with nothing for them to get into for the night, then yes you would probably be best tarping the entire thing to block out snow and wind. Also remember to add lots of straw for them! It helps them stay warmer. I understand how this can be overwhelming, but once you get this down, it won't be so bad!

I’m not a duck expert, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express....

My Rouens are the same age as your Swedish. The Rouen are fully feathered and have adjusted well to the cold. I’m your neighbor in the Adirondacks in upstate NY. As long as you have predators under control, the weather is a bit easier. Mine are in a kennel that I’ve tarped. They have the option of going into a doghouse inside the kennel, but they’ve refused. They also refuse to sleep in the straw I’ve provided, instead opting to sleep on their food and water mat. Even last night - when the temperature stayed below freezing all night.

I hear you about working full-time and raising a new pet type. I leave for work in the morning while it’s still dark. I come home during the day to let them out - still worrying about predators. Then I spend a couple of hours with them before dark when I get home. I have to say, though, ducks are easy. I’m enjoying it! I hope your two groups get along!

0FC2C075-92A1-4795-A507-DF64CDF4646B.jpeg

Cheers!

My ducks are now less of a worry for me. I want to thank JPat for his thread:
Long story short the wind blew the door down and it was just heavey enough to pin NewBert around his chest. Suffocating him to death. My kahki campbell was honking like a nut but i was too late

I never leave that door open except today i figured it could use extra air flow. Damn.

The point is tie down, tie up, and secure everthing!

Heres pictures of him before his demise

I forgot to close my ducks in today. Then I was hearing a bad wind blowing through. I was reading JPat’s thread and thought, “ I’d better go check on the ducks”. I got out there, and the kennel door was wide ajar!. My first thought was that some predator had ripped it open. Then as I got closer, I thought maybe the wind blew it open. Finally, I got inside and looked for my ducks. THEY WERE IN THEIR DOGHOUSE!!! It was then I realized I had given them extra time before the sun went down- and had forgotten all about them! Apparently, though, they are pretty smart ducks and knew to get in their house before dark or when the winds started picking up.

I won’t forget them again, but I will worry less about them in the future!

That's part of being a poultry owner! It gets easier over time though! Haha
Ok it sounds like they're pretty well off regarding their nighttime accommodations, so no worries there! How large is their run though? I personally would tarp off maybe half of it so they can at least get out a little bit without having to step in snow, or get a really cold gust of wind hitting them. Of course that's not required, and it won't really hurt anything if you can't tarp off half, as they'll probably prefer to stay inside rather than going out. That's how all my birds are in the winter anyways! At the least, the haybales and tarp idea you have now will definitely be fine too so long as they're placed in the best area for it (where the wind/rain/snow/etc blows in). You seem like you're a very good, caring duck owner, so I have no doubt they'll be just fine over the winter. Best of luck with everything! :)

I know just how you feel! I feel the same way about all my chickens and geese too! I used to have ducks too, so I remember the joy they brought me as well!
I can understand that! A lean-to would be nice! Just make sure it's fixed up so it won't collapse from wind or anything! Also I should mention that if you do ever use tarps on the run, be aware that they can get torn if there's a lot of wind. When I had my chickens in a smaller run, I tarped half of it so they could get out a little bit without having to be in the snow and those tarps got so torn up that winter from all the wind. So that's just something to be aware of should you ever choose to do so!
You're very welcome! I'm glad I could be of help.

My ducks always did fine once they were fully feathered. I know pekins feather out fast, Ive never had blue sweddish. As long as their sleep courters doesnt have much direct wind blowing in it and they are fully feathered I wouldnt worry!

**Also I live in Tennessee so weathers a littler different. So we dont get many harsh below freezing days or snows until after the end of November.

I guess I'm worried and spoiling these new babies, my Pekins went outside fast because it was almost summer by the time they were feathered. The blue swedish seem to be growing fast like ducks do but not nearly as fast as the pekins did! They're still smaller than I would like them to be before they're outside ( I also have really come to enjoy having them close)

I guess I'm worried and spoiling these new babies, my Pekins went outside fast because it was almost summer by the time they were feathered. The blue swedish seem to be growing fast like ducks do but not nearly as fast as the pekins did! They're still smaller than I would like them to be before they're outside ( I also have really come to enjoy having them close)
I dont blame you, I usta always keep a pullet inside the house in a large plastic crate to keep me company! Even the ducks stayed inside for a while, but like you said, the penkins grow so fast they grew themselves out of a life of luxury haha

Back
Top Bottom