Ducklings question (Welsh Harleys)

D1 - Boy
D2 - D2 the one in back left is a boy right? Yes
And the back middle with beak hard to see is ...which? Can't see very much of the bill if I'm looking at the right one, but due to the smokey color I see there, I'd say boy.
D3 - The bottom left is a boy maybe? Yes
And the top left? What do you think? Boy
D4 - Bottom left there is which? There is a little of the fish sign there, but I would say probably a girl.
D5 - The two in middle left lower, and middle, are those bills that are changing dark from being a few days old, or were they dark to begin with? Boy or girls? The lighter tip and darker bill looks like boys to me.
D6 - bottom left is a girl? Think so?
DD1 The one in center; boy or girl? Lighter tip looks lik boy to me.
Left middle is a boy right? Yes
The one to the right of him, is a girl I'm guessing? At the top? Girl
DD2 no question on this one. Cuties :)
DD3 The one bill on the left, is which? Light tip and dark upper says boy to me. This is one that looks sort of in between to me.
DD4 The middle Couldn't swear on this one, but looks like a very light boy bill... and middle right here I'm not sure about. Looks like a boy
Sorry bottom one can't see at all.

You should know for sure who is what in about 5 weeks. I hope you'll post back!! If you plan to breed, them forward and maintain this feature, it may be worth it to mark/identify them for who was clearly identifiable and who was unsure to breed the ones that you were sure about and keep that autosexing trait strong in your flock. :)

Wow fun.

I have to ask though, it seems like there's 2 types of welsh harlys?

When I see pics it looks like there's some that look browner than others, and some that look more strikingly with white and a little black speckling? I have no idea if this is standard or if you are likely to get both from a hatchery.

I can see why people really like Welsh Harlys. And from now on I think I'm more preferenced to those types that are sweet in personality.
I've had a few with darker heads and some that are all yellow. I have three lines and have noticed that there do seem to be some lines that have more dark than others. Whatever the case, they are all lovely!

I've had a few with darker heads and some that are all yellow. I have three lines and have noticed that there do seem to be some lines that have more dark than others. Whatever the case, they are all lovely!

Did you mean 3 different overall archetype breed color schemes?

(IF that's what you meant, I didn't know there were that many for Welsh Harleys.)

💗💗💗

Super adorable!!!!

Mine shipped from Cackle April 1st and had a heat pack along with grogel. I did not ask for either in my order but was super happy they had it.
Thanks.

I think so too. They seem calmer.

One of them lets me hold her for a bit, but the other breeds I'd done didn't let me do that. (Not sure if it will last though.)

Did you mean 3 different overall archetype breed color schemes?

(IF that's what you meant, I didn't know there were that many for Welsh Harleys.)
No, there are silver phase and gold phase WH and I have silver phase, which is the most common these days. Within that silver phase, I have three different sources/lines from three different breeders and notice some variation in wing length and coloring at hatch and later.

I like these articles that show and discuss the different coloring. You may have already seen them, but I'm throwing them out there in case someone finds them interesting. :)
https://www.holderreadfarm.com/photogallery/welsh_page/welsh_page.htm
https://www.tyrantfarms.com/history-welsh-harlequin-ducks/

D1 - Boy
D2 - D2 the one in back left is a boy right? Yes
And the back middle with beak hard to see is ...which? Can't see very much of the bill if I'm looking at the right one, but due to the smokey color I see there, I'd say boy.
D3 - The bottom left is a boy maybe? Yes
And the top left? What do you think? Boy
D4 - Bottom left there is which? There is a little of the fish sign there, but I would say probably a girl.
D5 - The two in middle left lower, and middle, are those bills that are changing dark from being a few days old, or were they dark to begin with? Boy or girls? The lighter tip and darker bill looks like boys to me.
D6 - bottom left is a girl? Think so?
DD1 The one in center; boy or girl? Lighter tip looks lik boy to me.
Left middle is a boy right? Yes
The one to the right of him, is a girl I'm guessing? At the top? Girl
DD2 no question on this one. Cuties :)
DD3 The one bill on the left, is which? Light tip and dark upper says boy to me. This is one that looks sort of in between to me.
DD4 The middle Couldn't swear on this one, but looks like a very light boy bill... and middle right here I'm not sure about. Looks like a boy
Sorry bottom one can't see at all.

You should know for sure who is what in about 5 weeks. I hope you'll post back!! If you plan to breed, them forward and maintain this feature, it may be worth it to mark/identify them for who was clearly identifiable and who was unsure to breed the ones that you were sure about and keep that autosexing trait strong in your flock. :)
Thank you very much for your help.

💗💗💗

Super adorable!!!!

Mine shipped from Cackle April 1st and had a heat pack along with grogel. I did not ask for either in my order but was super happy they had it.
That's very cool.

After seeing both sides of the coin, I will never order without gro gel again. Of course I don't mind if I have to ask for it or pay for it as long as its there. The time I didn't gro gel, I lost half of the order almost.

Back
Top Bottom