Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kayleewoo, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Kayleewoo

Kayleewoo In the Brooder

Sep 11, 2019
    Northern England
    So we lost a duckling yesterday. His brother was pipping also. This morning he looked like he was struggling a bit- he was coming out ass first. Very strong, shouting and flapping the wing and foot he’d managed to get free. He popped his head out this morning. There’s still a small fingernail yolk sac attached. He looks a bit knackered (understandably) and is laid at the bottom of the incubator. He’s breathing ok and shouting.

I’ve got chick crumb ready for when he needs it. Will I need to feed grit along side this from the off? Do I just leave food there for them to help themselves or feed at selected times?

mamabrumble59 and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

They don’t need to eat for at least 24 hrs they are using up that yolk they absorbed. No grit needed until you feed anything other than their crum. Like treats that’s when you offer chick grit an make sure they always have water deep enough to wash out their nares an eyes but they can’t climb into. Congrats too on the hatch, how many? Here’s an example of a waterer you can make at home. Very sorry for your loss, 5288CE57-9FFC-4010-9CBE-81759BB9673B.jpeg what breed?

3. Kayleewoo

Kayleewoo In the Brooder

Sep 11, 2019
    Northern England
    They’re Indian runners. Only had one hatch so far. The other is scraping the inside of the shell. I have a few more ready next week.

Attached Files:

KCNC06, Texag87 and Runner duck mom like this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

Bless it’s heart. One of my special breeds! I have 9 Runners they are so precious. Hoping the rest hatch healthy an be sure to keep us updated!

5. Kayleewoo

Kayleewoo In the Brooder

Sep 11, 2019
    Northern England
    He’s out. He’s cheeping and kicking his legs. He doesn’t seem to be upright yet. How long do they usually take?

6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Just keep waiting...

7. Kayleewoo

Kayleewoo In the Brooder

Sep 11, 2019
    Northern England
    There he is- he’s unattached. He’s licking moisture off the floor of the incubator

Attached Files:

Texag87 and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

Needs its rest hatching is hard work. Should be up moving around at least by tomorrow. Then once up and mobile offer water and feed.

mamabrumble59 likes this.
  9. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    :wee

mamabrumble59 and Miss Lydia like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Wrangler

How's your little one doing this morning? @Kayleewoo

mamabrumble59 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: