Ducklyne

Pics
I’ve been wondering,where should I let my ducklings swim?lake mixed breeds need to swim.we have an enormous backyard.mini inflatable pool?tub?
I've always used the plastic kiddie pools with my ducks, even the grown ones. I don't let my young babies swim at all, but at two weeks I'll let them into a half-filled pool with lots of paver stones or other things along the sides that make it easy to get out. I wouldn't let the little ones out on a lake or in any really deep bodies of water though, that's a bit too risky even for my taste.

Hoping your incubation goes well!!

I've always used the plastic kiddie pools with my ducks, even the grown ones. I don't let my young babies swim at all, but at two weeks I'll let them into a half-filled pool with lots of paver stones or other things along the sides that make it easy to get out. I wouldn't let the little ones out on a lake or in any really deep bodies of water though, that's a bit too risky even for my taste.

Hoping your incubation goes well!!
Thank u

it’s been four days,here are more progress pics.
Currently Day 12
5D06EA93-1941-4C64-BE2C-2E0AA8CBD653.jpeg
4083AACF-DCCA-4F22-A97B-78CC74CF06A5.jpeg
3105C9C8-BEA6-49DC-A0AC-02180AFBF586.jpeg

The seller who recently sold me the pine shavings or what I thought was pine shavings turned out,he sold me toxic cedar shavings.I instantly kept them aside since it was an enormous quantity and have been looking looking for some non toxic soft bedding.The towels are cut because no one’s cleaning them every 3 days.Tissue paper,they will dirty it within 20 miniutes.cedar,nope.pine shavings(I searched over 23 websites,it’s not available anywhere in our country)nope.I got myself busy with bedding so much that today is the second day I haven’t found anything except my aunt called a furnisher who told us he had some pine shavings-like wood which are soft and non toxic so he’ll deliver it tomorrow 11am.I can’t believe so much money was wasted on those toxic bundles of cedar.
P.s I thought of aquarium sand too but thought shavings were more recommened.(the pic I posted of the cedar shavings were only half from the load the seller delivered)So I guess I’m gonna wait for the non toxic shavings.Btw what should I feed the ducklings after they hatch.I saw a man feed his duckling a mosquito for some protein,should I do the same?I could easily catch a ton of mosquitos for them.I saw some dry mealworms online,should I order some for them?they do need protein but I’m afraid if they are going to be able to swallow the worm.:confused:

Good thing you noticed the cedar. Not good at all. Maybe you could advertise and someone would buy them from you?
For feed hopefully you can find poultry feed or waterfowl feed? if so get starter crumbles. I wouldn't give any treats for the first couple of weeks. You want them to know what their feed is and they will get all their nourishment from their feed. Mealworms are a nice treat, when i first introduce them to mealworms I put a few in my hand and crush them a little so they aren't so big to swallow.
You might want to order some Nutritional Yeast to give your ducklings the niacin they need for strong legs. Chicken feed won't have enough for ducklings and sometimes even with feeding waterfowl feed one can come up with a niacin deficiency. Get your feed and water containers ready [not chick waterers or feeders either. Although they are okay for the first week. But duckling bills are too wide for any longer than that. I just use a plastic dog food bowl for feed. This the waterer I made you can cut the holes larger as they grow, they need to be able to dunk their heads but not climb into it.
8AFFB8E6-980F-4D46-B4BB-0F9C04A19524.jpeg

Good thing you noticed the cedar. Not good at all. Maybe you could advertise and someone would buy them from you?
For feed hopefully you can find poultry feed or waterfowl feed? if so get starter crumbles. I wouldn't give any treats for the first couple of weeks. You want them to know what their feed is and they will get all their nourishment from their feed. Mealworms are a nice treat, when i first introduce them to mealworms I put a few in my hand and crush them a little so they aren't so big to swallow.
You might want to order some Nutritional Yeast to give your ducklings the niacin they need for strong legs. Chicken feed won't have enough for ducklings and sometimes even with feeding waterfowl feed one can come up with a niacin deficiency. Get your feed and water containers ready [not chick waterers or feeders either. Although they are okay for the first week. But duckling bills are too wide for any longer than that. I just use a plastic dog food bowl for feed. This the waterer I made you can cut the holes larger as they grow, they need to be able to dunk their heads but not climb into it. View attachment 2926541
Thank u so much.I did end up buying dried mealworms yesterday and the shavings are arriving today.I’ll make sure to buy brewers yeast to mix with the feed.I’ll take care of the container never mind that but can ducklings swim on their first day?ive bought 3 aquarium heaters for the swim already.:rolleyes:

Btw what should I feed the ducklings after they hatch.I saw a man feed his duckling a mosquito for some protein,should I do the same?I could easily catch a ton of mosquitos for them.I saw some dry mealworms online,should I order some for them?they do need protein but I’m afraid if they are going to be able to swallow the worm.:confused:
If you can find unmedicated chick starter or duck-specific feed, I'd give them that. In the past I've just given babies crushed up all-flock pellets because I didn't know to give them starter and the pellets were too big for their little mouths. Those ducks turned out to be perfectly healthy and well-adjusted as well.

Back
Top Bottom