Ducks ‘Off Heat’ Do I Still Need A Heat Lamp?

Saaan13

Songster
Jul 6, 2022
I’ve seen a few people say that ducks and chickens have been off heat , does this mean they don’t need heat ?? , I’m getting 2 call ducks and the woman said they have been off the heat for a week, I’m confused if I need a heat lamp or not.

Basically off heat means no need for a heat lamp; that said if where you live is any colder then where they are now, they may still want one.
However I'm not an expert, as I just use broody hens; this is just what I've gathered from reading.

Basically off heat means no need for a heat lamp; that said if where you live is any colder then where they are now, they may still want one.
However I'm not an expert, as I just use broody hens; this is just what I've gathered from reading.
Yeah I get confused with what I read , people say it’s ok for them to be off the heat and other sources say they do need heat for 6 weeks , by the way these ducks were brooded under a duck for about a week idk if that makes a difference

My ducks stop using the heat by 3 weeks
At 2 weeks it depends on where they are being kept. When I have the air on and it’s cooler I find them under the heat plate at times others they are laying away from it
I usually leave the heat plate in till they are 3-4 weeks
With a heat lamp they would need areas to cool off and get away from it
It would only need to be around 70-75 tops
So if it’s that warm where you are keeping them you may not need it at all

My ducks stop using the heat by 3 weeks
At 2 weeks it depends on where they are being kept. When I have the air on and it’s cooler I find them under the heat plate at times others they are laying away from it
I usually leave the heat plate in till they are 3-4 weeks
With a heat lamp they would need areas to cool off and get away from it
It would only need to be around 70-75 tops
So if it’s that warm where you are keeping them you may not need it at all
Hello again :) and should I put a heat lamp in there anyway just incase ?

Hello again :) and should I put a heat lamp in there anyway just incase ?
I would just to see if they need it
Watch the ducklings they will let you know
If they stay away from it or lay under it
I never use the drop the temp every week like the books tell you to
as every few days I saw my ducklings move to the outside edge of the heat from day 2-3 on I would raise it up a little and they would go back to laying in the centre. Kept doing this until they didn’t go to it at all
Normally I use a heat plate but one of my batches this year I also had a school hatching so I gave them my heat plate and I used my lamp

Back
Top Bottom