URGENT, duck had eggs, what do I do until I get an incubator today?

Fangeddeer

Songster
Apr 23, 2023
My duck had her eggs, I was right thinking she was gonna have em. And so was my neighbor— but. It’s fall (or winter, idk seasons. But what I’m trying to say is it’s cold!!) idk if mom will brood, she was protective until she got off and it’s been a few mins n they’re getting cold! I put a heat lamp over them and I’m sitting close, what should I do? They’re in a coop, I have no others that I could put her in. Please help!!

She also made a nest, but it’s cramped. Will she forget?

Attachments

• IMG_6597.jpeg
    IMG_6597.jpeg
    478.3 KB · Views: 67
So she just laid her first ever egg? I don't do ducks, but in chickens, one does not go about hatching the first egg. If you want to incubate them, take them to your house where they'll be kept at a steady temperature until you accumulate enough to set. Do not stagger the hatches

So she just laid her first ever egg? I don't do ducks, but in chickens, one does not go about hatching the first egg. If you want to incubate them, take them to your house where they'll be kept at a steady temperature until you accumulate enough to set. Do not stagger the hatches
What do you mean by don’t stagger them? And yes I’m guessing, she was a dumped pet but I’m unsure of her age so maybe she had others? She was protective, and she was keeping them warm. Ahhh I checked if they’re fertile and they are but I think bc I did that she no longer wants them. I have 0 clue what I’m doing but I want to do it :oops:

What do you mean by don’t stagger them? And yes I’m guessing, she was a dumped pet but I’m unsure of her age so maybe she had others? She was protective, and she was keeping them warm. Ahhh I checked if they’re fertile and they are but I think bc I did that she no longer wants them. I have 0 clue what I’m doing but I want to do it :oops:

How did you check if they're fertile, you mean she has a whole clutch? Is she broody?

Back
Top Bottom