Ducks afraid of pine shaving?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by annarogetta, Sep 5, 2014.

1. annarogetta

annarogetta Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2014
    Holden Massachusetts
    I raised my ducks in pine shavings, until they were over a month old. they now live in an 6x8 shed at night. It has a rubber floor and I spray it out with a hose every day. But winter is coming and I won't be able to use water everyday to clean the coop. I put shavings in for a few days so that it would be easier to deal with, but when I put them in at night they are terrified of the shavings (refuse to go in, and once I put them in they were flying around crazy and upset)!!! So I took it out and now they are fine.

Should I start putting a little in at a time so they can get accustomed to it? My females should start laying eggs in a few weeks too, should I start to slowly add nests to teach them to lay in it? they usually go in their shed around 7-9pm every night and get out around 6-8am every morning.

Has anyone had ducks that were afraid of something and then found a way for them to get used to it? If so it could help me

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    They'll get used to it. Yes, I'd put nest boxes in with treats near them. That way they'll want to go near the nest boxes because then they'll get treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by