Ducks and chicken attacked

I can’t get them to the vet like I’d want to. I am currently keeping an eye on them and they are inside the house to stay warmer as well as be away from the rest of the flock. They’re going to be put into totes later so they can rest on their own and not have to worry about any flies. I’ll do what I can for getting feathers away from the wounds. I am also watching to make sure they stay hydrated and will be fed later. I will look into tube feeding if need be, which I will be to do since I’ve had to do it to plenty of animals. I’m doing what I can right now to make sure they’re comfortable and resting since the first duck I can tell has lost a good amount of blood and needs rest.

Do you have any tubes on hand?

Don't get me wrong the eye will be something that should be addressed, but right now, you really want to focus on getting her hydrated, I'm sure she isn't drinking much. With sick birds, dehydration is usually the first thing to kill, people often do not understand the importance of it when treating them.

I am worried about her eyes though- any suggestions to help her?

I really hope you get her some tube feeding supplies soon.

Don't get me wrong the eye will be something that should be addressed, but right now, you really want to focus on getting her hydrated, I'm sure she isn't drinking much. With sick birds, dehydration is usually the first thing to kill, people often do not understand the importance of it when treating them.

I really hope you get her some tube feeding supplies soon.
She has been drinking and most issue is it’s only difficult since she can’t see where the water is, but I’ll be able to show her and she’ll drink plenty. She has no issues swallowing it’s just that she can’t see very well with the swelling and all

I'd love to hear from more knowledgable poultry folks on this because I am a TOTAL NEWBIE with birds. However, with human wounds, one of the best way to clean them out is with irrigation. Slightly warmed water, or saline, from a large syringe or a saline solution bottle, GENTLY sprayed on the wound will help flush it out. Or, even better, if your birds will allow you to hold them under gently running tap water for 10 minutes, the rushing of the water will softly remove old blood, pus, crusty stuff, etc, and help you see a little more of what's going on. The water is gentle - much more gentle than manually trying to clean the wound with your hands or other tools. If you have syringes, you want to use a big one because the little ones create a very sharp and hurtful stream of water. Or if you're using a saline bottle (like for contacts/eye care), you want to make sure you don't squeeze it too hard or the stream will be too hard. I hope this helps. If the vet is not an option, are there any other poultry owners in your area that you know? If not, maybe a quick search for birds for sale in your area will turn some up, or look for the folks selling eggs at a local farmers market. They might be able to help you, too.

I had carefully gotten the gunk ‘off’ of her eye mostly using Q-tips. Since it was a mucus like liquid I could soak it up with them. I would’ve run water but she wasn’t reacting well to water on her face or neck, as well I was worried I might make make her panic. She was very calm while I carefully cleaned it and I’ve been keeping an eye on it. Just trying to check on swelling and make sure nothing gets hard on her eyes. I only did it how I did since it was the softest thing she would allow me to remove it without crying

Something got to my ducks and chickens last night. One of my ducks had her face and neck bit and ripped into and I don’t know what might be the best way to help her. As well as one of my hens had a chunk bitten out of her ‘butt’.

This is one of the ducks after slightly cleaning the blood off

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 22

Back
Top Bottom