Ducks and chicken attacked

Slightly warmed water, or saline, from a large syringe or a saline solution bottle, GENTLY sprayed on the wound will help flush it out. Or, even better, if your birds will allow you to hold them under gently running tap water for 10 minutes, the rushing of the water will softly remove old blood, pus, crusty stuff, etc, and help you see a little more of what's going on.

And I wouldn't do this with your duck's eye. I think irrigation might help you with your chicken. Or maybe sitting her in a warm water bath like what I've seen in videos for chickens that are egg bound could help clean the wound. But you have to balance that with whether it will make her cold after - she'll need to get dry, etc.

I'd love to hear from more knowledgable poultry folks on this because I am a TOTAL NEWBIE with birds. However, with human wounds, one of the best way to clean them out is with irrigation. Slightly warmed water, or saline, from a large syringe or a saline solution bottle, GENTLY sprayed on the wound will help flush it out. Or, even better, if your birds will allow you to hold them under gently running tap water for 10 minutes, the rushing of the water will softly remove old blood, pus, crusty stuff, etc, and help you see a little more of what's going on. The water is gentle - much more gentle than manually trying to clean the wound with your hands or other tools. If you have syringes, you want to use a big one because the little ones create a very sharp and hurtful stream of water. Or if you're using a saline bottle (like for contacts/eye care), you want to make sure you don't squeeze it too hard or the stream will be too hard. I hope this helps. If the vet is not an option, are there any other poultry owners in your area that you know? If not, maybe a quick search for birds for sale in your area will turn some up, or look for the folks selling eggs at a local farmers market. They might be able to help you, too.

You're right, however, with bite wounds, there is likley bacteria present from the biter's oral flora, the bacteria from the surrounding skin on the bird, and the bacteria from the environment the bird is being kept in, on the wound. That said, an antiseptic would be preferred to saline, the common one's used with birds are Chlorhexidine 0.05%, and betadine (Povidone-iodine). These are usually applied using a large 35/60ml syringe, or a syringe with an 18 gauge needle. I'm unsure if a very strong stream of fluids would have any effect on the fibroblasts on the wound, vets seem to be generous about it but no very hard.

Edit- A lavage pressure of 7-8 PSI, is recommended by this source.

" Copious warm lavage of the wound to remove surface contaminants is recommended at a pressure of 7-8 psi, which can be achieved with a 35-60 ml syringe and an 18-gauge needle"

https://cdn.ymaws.com/members.arav....iles/Proceedings_2015/Main_Conference/274.pdf

Last edited:
You're right, however, with bite wounds, there is likley bacteria present from the biter's oral flora, the bacteria from the surrounding skin on the bird, and the bacteria from the environment the bird is being kept in, on the wound. That said, an antiseptic would be preferred to saline, the common one's used with birds are Chlorhexidine 0.05%, and betadine (Povidone-iodine). These are usually applied using a large 35/60ml syringe, or a syringe with an 18 gauge needle. I'm unsure if a very strong stream of fluids would have any effect on the fibroblasts on the wound, vets seem to be generous about it but no very hard.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom