Ducks and heat lamps.

Joseiscool18

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2017
Hello everyone. I currently have 2 3 week old ducklings, genders remain unknown lol. Currently they have not yet grown their feathers, though they have grown in height. I am being pressured to remove the heat lamp I use for the ducklings. What should I do? Should I keep them on the heat lamp, or should I cut off the heat lamp and see if they will last?

You can take ducklings off of heat earlier than chicks. I would try raising the lamp a bit every couple days to wean them.
Much depends on your ambient temperature. Are they in the house or outside in a coop?
Likely you can turn the heat off during the day.

Like chickencanoe already said it will be dependent on the temperature of the room they are in.
If they are in the house and its 70 or more they will most likely be fine without heat at this age.
I brooded mine outside and by 3 weeks they slept by the 70 degree corner but not too close.

I had 13 ducklings... so they kept each other super warm.
With only 3 you will need to be sure they arent getting too cold.

in my opinion keep the lamp on them until they are feathered. 

You can really overheat ducks way easier than chicks.
Keeping a heatlamp on them till feathered would be way too much for them.
Unless they are in a super large brooder or coop where they can get far away from the lamp...

You can take ducklings off of heat earlier than chicks. I would try raising the lamp a bit every couple days to wean them.
Much depends on your ambient temperature. Are they in the house or outside in a coop?
Likely you can turn the heat off during the day.
goodpost.gif

Like chickencanoe already said it will be dependent on the temperature of the room they are in.
If they are in the house and its 70 or more they will most likely be fine without heat at this age.
I brooded mine outside and by 3 weeks they slept by the 70 degree corner but not too close.

I had 13 ducklings... so they kept each other super warm.
With only 3 you will need to be sure they arent getting too cold.
goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom