Ducks are good at hiding symptoms..

“A medical approach to the treatment of egg binding should be instituted prior to any surgical intervention. Increasing the environmental temperature to 85-90f, administration of injectable multivitamins, calcium and oxytocin or ergonovine, and a gentle massage of the uterine area should be the first considerations. Intravenous fluids with glucose or dextrose are indicated if the bird is weak. These procedures generally deliver the egg 70 to 80% of the time. “

“A gentle, warm enema or immersing the bird up to its neck in warm water has been reported by some aviculturists to be effective in some cases. “

Maryam. I am so sorry. You have done so much to help Daisy in so many ways. Please don’t ever think your a bad duck mom. You tried so hard for her. She just had multiple problems and had too much going against her. I believe all of us here who have been following an trying to help would think of you as being a wonderful duck mom who loves her ducks. :hugs

And about the surgery
The doctors misdiagnosed her so the treatmet worsen her. They should’ve done an ultrasound, it was not egg binding, it was an egg that was released from her oviduct probably a few weeks ago it had soft shell and it was torn in the abdominal cavity. But because her prolapse surgery she has lost a part of her intestines so it was tight and sticky and she couldn’t pass the material that’s why it has became an infection.
The last few days was so rough for her that she started showing the symptoms, she was in so much pain and my heart aches that I couldn’t do anything for her. I kind of blame the vet who removed her intestines in the first place cause I heard from an expert that it was unnecessary and I didn’t know due to lack of veterinary information.. I let him do this major surgery on her again😭 He told me she couldn’t stand the surgery due to lack of oxygen and heart failure but I think it was actually because of internal bleeding. I will never forgive myself for failing Daisy and trusting the wrong person..
Everything began with respiratory issues that I thought it was a simple infection while her body was overflowed by infection.
Please don’t ever underestimate your pets symptoms and force the vets to take every measures they can. keep looking for the source till you find it.
I miss my girl too much But my biggest fear now is cookie, she hasn’t stopped quacking since last night, she follows me everywhere like a little duckling. She misses her little sister 😭
I never knew how emotional the ducks can be💔

Last edited:
Maryam. That is why you can’t blame yourself. You aren’t a vet we aren’t vets we trust what vets say and many times that’s wrong too. You did the best you could do for Daisy. I lost one that way many years ago and it was heartbreaking. Please don’t feel like a failure. Cookie needs you now and you need her. I admire your dedication to your ducks. :hugs

Maryam. That is why you can’t blame yourself. You aren’t a vet we aren’t vets we trust what vets say and many times that’s wrong too. You did the best you could do for Daisy. I lost one that way many years ago and it was heartbreaking. Please don’t feel like a failure. Cookie needs you now and you need her. I admire your dedication to your ducks. :hugs
We have a shortage of expert avian and poultry vets in Iran😞
So sorry that you went through it too💔
Thank you❤️
I hope I can do whatever I can to take care of cookie..

Back
Top Bottom