Duck's breath smells like soy sauce

Amykins

Crowing
10 Years
May 11, 2013
Bean has a problem. The problem is, she smells. I suspect sour crop, but I thought that scent was supposed to be enough to knock you flat on your rear! This really isn't so bad, it's just...well, it smells exactly like soy sauce. And that just isn't normal.

She was a little listless today, spending several hours with her bill resting on the lip of her water bowl and not doing much of anything. But she's still eating, drinking and pooping. Mostly I'm just worried about my baby. :/ I'm also worried that if this IS sour crop, that Wobbles could contract it, too.

Either way we managed to get a vet appointment tomorrow morning, but this particular clinic, although they treat ducks, aren't a proficient as my usual vet, who is like a big duck dynamo of medical wonder. So I'm still worried they could misdiagnose something.

I hate being such a worrywart...

The nose knows. If you are smelling soy sauce, that's a fermented food.

Here is a thought - just putting it out there for your consideration. I have read that coconut oil is good for treating candida (yeast).

I wonder if just a tad - quarter teaspoon, maybe? Might help a bit.

Just thinking.

It's worth a shot? I've got coconut oil, thankfully. I just wasn't sure if it was indeed soup crop since the smell really isn't all that unpleasant. I mean, who doesn't love soy sauce?

My other concern is how she could have gotten it. She used to eat her poop, and lately I've been placing my finger in her mouth since it's the only painless way to reprimand her that'll stick when she tries to bite. So of course, being the paranoid overprotective duck mama that I am, am convinced that I caused this. And I've been crying ever since. Because I am a very, very silly woman.

Intense caring and empathy can be painful. The microbes that cause illness are all over the place. We both know bumblefoot is (generally, anyway) caused by S. aureus, which is everywhere.

I know, and so is yeast, when you think about it. But the finger in the mouth thing is the only behavior she's been subjected to that Wobbles has not, so I really do think I caused it. I try to keep my hands as clean as possible at all times, but you just never know. :/

Either way she's going into the vet's tomorrow. They're not as well-versed in fowl as my other vet but sour crop is such a common malady that I'm pretty sure they'll know how to deal with it. I just know antifungals aren't the most effective in most cases, so I'm not sure what exactly can be done. Not sure if I'd trust these people to expel her crop, I certainly don't trust myself to do it on such a tiny bird!

Last edited:
hugs.gif

Did she eat something odd?

Once, Zwei found a volunteer garlic clove in the ground. sigh. That aroma was unmistakable - and I felt bad for not finding it before she did. She seemed to have no ill effect, but I was worried. I have read both that garlic is bad and good for ducks. I think a little does not hurt, and may be medicinal.

Last edited:
hugs.gif

Did she eat something odd?

Once, Zwei found a volunteer garlic clove in the ground. sigh. That aroma was unmistakable - and I felt bad for not finding it before she did. She seemed to have no ill effect, but I was worried. I have read both that garlic is bad and good for ducks. I think a little does not hurt, and may be medicinal.

Not to my knowledge, no. I haven't eaten anything soy-related since my throat surgery, which was over two weeks ago. I thought maybe she just ate something odd the other day when I first noticed the smell, but obviously as more time passed it became apparent that wasn't the case.

Update: The smell us gone! We gave her some coconut oil and fasted her last night, about 12 hours, to see if things would empty on their own. And it looks like it did! I think if it had been any worse then it may not have corrected itself, but her breath wasn't half as bad as I imagined it should be so I think it worked its way through just fine. If anything changes, I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks for the news! I was thinking last night, probiotics might be a good idea.

I put ACV in their water, but I haven't tried other avenues like yogurt or fermented feed. I'm a little hesitant to try the latter again, since my last batch went bad. I just don't trust Seattle's climate and propensity to grow black mold just about anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom