Ducks - Deep Litter, Pea Gravel, Chipping?

Best duck run substrate?

• Deep Litter Method

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Pea Gravel

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Wood Shavings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straw

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Boards

• Rubber Matts

• Total voters
You have ducks? I look at that an see spattered poop everywhere. I like the idea but no way I could only wash it down a couple times a year.
I have a dozen arriving in may from holderreads. My dad has two Rouens, he keeps them on gravel and that works well. When he goes on vacation they hang out at my house. Their poop is chicken poop consistency which i know is not the same as other ducks. They dont seem that messy to me but that is probably because there are only two.

Oh, boy. I don't know that I would keep anything other than calls if I had to keep my ducks in a run. I think of how nasty their sleeping quarters are after about a week post cleaning... and I shudder. I have 17 ducks and two geese that sleep in a 8x16 hoop coop. I use wood shavings first, then straw. I also toss in leaves during fall and grass clippings in spring and summer. They really love the grass clippings and leaves. I'm super lucky that I have a fenced in wetland area for my ducks. Or rather, they are lucky.
If I did have to put them in a run, I would probably do a mix. Pool/water stations on pea gravel or river rock sort of material, and the remainder a combo of mulch, wood chips, straw, leaves, and grass clippings.

How many ducks do you have? How large is their run? Pics? Pretty, please?

Back
Top Bottom