ducks eating acorns....help..afraid hes gonna choke!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by prov31gal, Oct 2, 2010.

1. prov31gal

prov31gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    over the mountain
    ok, so im a newb, this is our first year with ducks, weve done PLENTY of chickens but never ducks untill this year. weve got 2 ancona ducks, pretty sure they are a pair, to start out with. we have learned alot but i still dont know enough! the drake, patches, is just eating and eating all these acorns! we live in a heavily wooded area and weve got acornd a few inches deep in some places this year! and he seems to have it in his mind to eat them all. not just the tiny pin oak acorns but the great big ping pong sized ones too! he really has a time getting the big ones down, but he keeps at it, and im really afraid he will choke or that those big hard acorns will get caught in his gut and cause a blockage. is this a valid concern?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  2. prov31gal

Apr 29, 2009
    over the mountain
    no one? really? should i stop him from eating them?

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

They love it and its good for them. They do chew them up somewhat before swallowing and the grit will do the rest in the goiter for them. No worries.

4. Becky89*

Becky89* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    I've never heard of a duck eating acorns. I guess my ducks just aren't interested in them cause there are oak trees right beside their pen.....

5. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    My duckies LOVE snails. At first I was afraid of them choking on the big ones but they seem to be ok so, no worries now [​IMG]

I think as long as you have some water near by for him to drink, everything should be fine.

Pics of pretty Anconas please [​IMG]

6. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Last year was my first with ducks. I was surprised to see them cleaning up the acorns. We usually have tons of acorns on the ground, but last they were all gone. Both Quarkers and Peanut Butter walked around with their crops so full they looked like they need bras. It was nice not slipping on the acorns.

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    mine eat them too.

8. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I have to agree, my mallards fight over any acorn that bounces into the pen.

9. prov31gal

Apr 29, 2009
    over the mountain
    here they are, spot and patches, spot is the lady (we think) and patches is deffinately the drake. i had posted pics in another post trying to figure out sex, and now that ive been educated on the curly tail issue, we think we know who is who. but since we believe spot to be a gal, when should i expect eggs!? theyre 6 months old . and were pretty set on runners this comming spring too! i never knew i would enjoy ducks so much. im glad eating acorns is ok, i feel much better now!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Acorns sometimes referred to as "mast" are a commonly used food source for wild ducks, deer, swine, squirrels, raccoons, bear, and once upon a time American Indians. The species listed and many others feed upon them to bulk up and prepare for winter. It might be a possibility that your duck could choke on one of them, but I don't think that is is a probability. Just read your sig. line. Think that the sinning is what keeps some of us praying?[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by