Ducks eating now. Only lost one duck!!

I moved 2 more girls in with the first two. I measure out the food so I can re-measure after part of the day. Earlier today someone is eating 3 cups down to 2+. I have to go out soon to see what was eaten since noon. Its 7:20pm now. I had 4 cups in at noon and now at 7:30 pm its down to 3 cups so 1 cup eaten.So all in all 4 ducks ate a little less than 2 cups. Not very good as usually they eat 1 cup each a day. But better, IF I knew the first two that were not eating actually are.

Last edited:
I moved 2 more girls in with the first two. I measure out the food so I can re-measure after part of the day. Earlier today someone is eating 3 cups down to 2+. I have to go out soon to see what was eaten since noon. Its 7:20pm now. I had 4 cups in at noon and now at 7:30 pm its down to 3 cups so 1 cup eaten.So all in all 4 ducks ate a little less than 2 cups. Not very good as usually they eat 1 cup each a day. But better, IF I knew the first two that were not eating actually are.
Well at least someone is eating, It takes a while for them to get use to any kind of change, I'm thinking once the drake gets in there and they get settled from his move you'll notice them back to normal. Have you been able to let Turbo out with them at all? for short visits?

Witnessed both of the first ducks in eating a bit and drinking. One young duck also. The oldest duck I did not see eat or drink yet. Drake goes in today. He is lonely by himself. Will update.

Witnessed both of the first ducks in eating a bit and drinking. One young duck also. The oldest duck I did not see eat or drink yet. Drake goes in today. He is lonely by himself. Will update.
I bet he is lonely. Make sure they can all eat, in other words no one is keeping the other from the food.

Well tonight went out and Turbo's mom was trying to walk and couldn't. She's very weak. Tried giving her food and water. No go. She is dying!
hit.gif
Now in the last 6 weeks we got two bantams for our 6 month old bantum chicken, They both died, after about 3 wks here, just seemed to get very weak then laid down and died. Then our rooster died this weak. He was healthy before. Now my turkeys and now all my ducks are in coops that housed the rooster. His pullets were in a huge wire cage. Later he joined them. Turkey appear still eating okay despite their move to a new coop also.

As I have seen my chickens die almost overnight I am concerned for my ducks. They are in the same room those chickens were. Now the duck that will likely die was fine this morning. At 5pm she is not likely to make the night. I have nowhere to move them too and think another move now would do more harm than good. Any ideas at what may be at work here.

On a good note Turbo is doing just great and getting his feathers in and does not spend much time in his cage during the day. Prefers to be at our feet, following us around and trying to get Munk to play with him. Obviously Turbo won't see the inside of the barn until I have no deaths for more than a month or more. I rather clean up his poop than loose him. Btw he poops way less than when he's pacing his cage chirping to get out.

Well tonight went out and Turbo's mom was trying to walk and couldn't. She's very weak. Tried giving her food and water. No go. She is dying!
hit.gif
Now in the last 6 weeks we got two bantams for our 6 month old bantum chicken, They both died, after about 3 wks here, just seemed to get very weak then laid down and died. Then our rooster died this weak. He was healthy before. Now my turkeys and now all my ducks are in coops that housed the rooster. His pullets were in a huge wire cage. Later he joined them. Turkey appear still eating okay despite their move to a new coop also.

As I have seen my chickens die almost overnight I am concerned for my ducks. They are in the same room those chickens were. Now the duck that will likely die was fine this morning. At 5pm she is not likely to make the night. I have nowhere to move them too and think another move now would do more harm than good. Any ideas at what may be at work here.

On a good note Turbo is doing just great and getting his feathers in and does not spend much time in his cage during the day. Prefers to be at our feet, following us around and trying to get Munk to play with him. Obviously Turbo won't see the inside of the barn until I have no deaths for more than a month or more. I rather clean up his poop than loose him. Btw he poops way less than when he's pacing his cage chirping to get out.
Okay have you checked their feed to make sure there is no mold? what about shavings or straw or hay any sign of mold? is there good ventilation inside the barn? Tomorrow I'd get everyone out and clean it out top to bottom, you need some kind of disinfectant that is safe to use around animals. feed store probably has something. after disinfecting let the whole place air out for the day. then put in all new fresh bedding. can you isolate the mama duck into a large dog crate in an area where she won't be around any one? she needs to be kept warm with some water so she doesn't dehydrate. you may have to use a syringe and put tiny amts just inside her bill NOT down her throat. Where did you get the bantams from and did you isolate them before introducing them to your bantam and is it still alive? thinking maybe they brought something in, Other than them No other additions? I know this is a big under taking but something must be going on inside the barn, what were the symptoms of the roo before he died? Still have some healthy chickens?

Brand new bag of feed no mold. I clean all the poop off the pine shavings every time out to the barn then rake it all out. Ventilation is okay. She is in a dog cart out of the barn.
The bantums were from a lady we got some silkies and the bantum roo in the spring they were fine. Separated the new ones for 3 wks then introduced to the roo. They died at week 4 and 5 and my roo died a few days ago about 2 weeks after the last new pullet. He like the others each morning seemed weak and lethargic the was dead by supper. I don't expect this duck to make it. The area where the ducks are was cleaned out and all new bedding put down before the ducks were put in. So don't know whats up buut I guess another cleaning can be done. I have no other chickens just 3 turkeys and a rabbit now out there.

Last edited:
Brand new bag of feed no mold. I clean all the poop off the pine shavings every time out to the barn then rake it all out. Ventilation is okay. She is in a dog cart out of the barn.
The bantums were from a lady we got some silkies and the bantum roo in the spring they were fine. Separated the new ones for 3 wks then introduced to the roo. They died at week 4 and 5 and my roo died a few days ago about 2 weeks after the last new pullet. He like the others each morning seemed weak and lethargic the was dead by supper. I don't expect this duck to make it. The area where the ducks are was cleaned out and all new bedding put down before the ducks were put in. So don't know whats up buut I guess another cleaning can be done. I have no other chickens just 3 turkeys and a rabbit now out there.
Did you check mama out good to see if there was any wounds? you said once the drake picks on her has he ever beat her up? And no other symptoms with your roo? no discharge no cough nothing to give you an idea other than just weak and lethargic? how are the rest of the ducks acting? can you get some Poultry Nutri Drench and if she is still alive tomorrow start giving her [straight into her mouth] this it gets straight into the blood stream real fast. Only do a cleaning if you feel it's necessary. Just wondering if there could be mold or something else in there that you may not see. what about fumes any thing in there that could be putting off fumes? poultry are very sensitive to things like that.

I'm so sorry I'm sure this is heartbreaking, I'm heart broken for you.

Last edited:
Any possibility of having a necropsy done? In our state, the state ag pathology lab will do a thorough exam.

So sad . . . I feel you have covered so many bases.

Virus?

Back
Top Bottom