Ducks ey closed and coughing

duckymama2

Songster
7 Years
Jun 16, 2014
Oak Hill, Florida
Went to take care of ducks this morning and my male Pekin has his eye closed and is coughing. It is freezing here in Wisconsin 10 below right now. We have an insulted coop were the ducks are out of the weather. This is our first winter with the ducks. Any idea what is going on and what I can do? Thanks in advance.

Went to take care of ducks this morning and my male Pekin has his eye closed and is coughing. It is freezing here in Wisconsin 10 below right now. We have an insulted coop were the ducks are out of the weather. This is our first winter with the ducks. Any idea what is going on and what I can do? Thanks in advance.
Is a vet feasible ? and do they have water deep enough to wash their heads. They need to be able to wash their eyes and nares out alot. Sometimes they can get dust in their eyes but the coughing worries me. I think I'd bring them inside so you can really keep an eye on what's going on. Might have to start him on some antibiotics If you have a room where it doesn't get too warm that would be a good place to start then watch to make sure he is eating and drinking and his poo looks normal I'd bring them both inside because one will be extremely lost without the other. Healthy ducks kept in a nice insulated duck house with proper ventilation can handle extremely cold temps but your fellow sounds like he might needs so TLC.

Our vet is a hour and a half away. We have 4 ducks and Wallace seems to be the only cougher with an eye issue. Their bucket is deep enough for their whole head to be washed. If we brought him inside were its 74 all the time with our wood burner I'm afraid that bringing him back out were its been 10 below or colder lately will make him sicker. What kind of antibiotics should I put him on and where can I get it? Online may be my only source because everything is 1 1/2 away. I'm worried about our babies. We truly love them to pieces. Thanks so much for your help Miss Lydia.

Is a vet feasible ? and do they have water deep enough to wash their heads. They need to be able to wash their eyes and nares out alot. Sometimes they can get dust in their eyes but the coughing worries me. I think I'd bring them inside so you can really keep an eye on what's going on. Might have to start him on some antibiotics If you have a room where it doesn't get too warm that would be a good place to start then watch to make sure he is eating and drinking and his poo looks normal I'd bring them both inside because one will be extremely lost without the other. Healthy ducks kept in a nice insulated duck house with proper ventilation can handle extremely cold temps but your fellow sounds like he might needs so TLC.

Our vet is a hour and a half away. We have 4 ducks and Wallace seems to be the only cougher with an eye issue. Their bucket is deep enough for their whole head to be washed. If we brought him inside were its 74 all the time with our wood burner I'm afraid that bringing him back out were its been 10 below or colder lately will make him sicker. What kind of antibiotics should I put him on and where can I get it? Online may be my only source because everything is 1 1/2 away. I'm worried about our babies. We truly love them to pieces. Thanks so much for your help Miss Lydia.
When they are sick they need to be kept warm so you may have a house duck for a while anyway. We have another member who has had a duck coughing and our resident meds expert casportpony recommended Baytril and they got some from their vet it can be ordered on line to, but I want her to look at your thread first and see what she thinks so hold on for a bit.

What antibiotics do you have? Human, dog, cat, horse, you might have something that will work. If he were mine and I suspected a respiratory infection I would give Baytril, but that needs to be ordered online or prescribed by a vet.

-Kathy

How will they do once they go back in the cold? Wallace probably won't do well without the other 3 females so they will all most likely come in. Weird question but where do I put the inside with their poopy mess! I have a basement but don't know what I could keep them in. What does everyone else do when the ducks come in?

If your thinking of bringing them all in is there any way you can set up a temp pen inside your garage? scrap wood for fencing or plastic fencing from Lowes then just shaving on the floor thick to keep the cold out. Is your garage heated

He's still eating like a pig and is drinking normal and acting normal. Just has a cough and this morning his eye is closed. Not home yet to see if his eye is still closed. Once he started walking he would open it just a tad and then close it once he was where he wanted to be. Cough has been there a few days.

Back
Top Bottom