Duck's foot got stepped on

amanda_rimo

Songster
Jun 21, 2023
hi everyone, this morning we were trying to put our 6 week old ducklings in the into the kennel for the day, and mango was running away from us and the door. my sister tried to stop her from running past her by putting her foot out, but mango was so fast, she stepped on her foot. she seems to be babying it and not putting a lot of pressure on it now. she's not putting a lot of pressure on it. We checked everything and it all seems to be okay. she lifts it up and then will put it down and put some pressure on it and then pick it back up again. anyone have any tips on what we can do? when our pekin was limping we just kept her in a small area for a couple days and gave her extra liquid b complex for the couple days until she was better. not sure if we should do the same thing for mango or not?

just an update if anyone has any suggestions. Mango is still really limping and holding her foot in the air completely. We soak her foot in Epsom salt and we are giving her Motrin (advice from a duck expert), but we think it might be broken. Should we splint it? What else can we do for her? We have her in a small dog pen all day and night so she will rest it, but it seems to be swollen and a little bruised. Anyone have any experience and tips? It would be appreciated. Thank you

You could try something like this https://www.mypetchicken.com/products/splints-for-curled-toe-broken-legs-broken-feet-4-sizes
having support might help her walk while healing.
I'd keep up with the soaks and the other option would be a vet visit.
We do have those splints from our last duck that had leg problems. I will splints her today and see if that helps her at all. Thank you so much. The vet visit suggestion would be ideal, but there isn’t many, if any, avian duck Vets around me.

We
How is it going since you put the splint on?
tried the splint, but she completely freaked out trying to shake it off and kick it off and couldn’t walk. So we took it off. We just used gauze and vet wrap and wrapped her leg for some extra support. It seems to be helping a bit. Slow progress but I think it’s working

Make sure she doesn't overdo trying to keep up with the flock, rest and Epsom salt soaks can help.
mango is still kept in the garage with peaches. they are kept in a small enclosure. we were going to be moving them outside, but since mango hurt her foot, we delayed putting them outside with Dewey. there will only be 3 of them in the flock. we do soak her foot everyday, and them put on her wrap for stability.

Back
Top Bottom