Ducks for Pond

Wild Duck

Chirping
Sep 5, 2018
I'm currently in the process of buying a little over 52 acres in Maine for recreational and vacationing purposes and will fully own by the end of next month. The property has a small stream with a large cove and another medium sized pond. Current owner said they don't dry up or anything.
Of course, being a duck person, I want to see ducks in the water! When the idea came to me I thought this was a common thing to sort of release ducks to live on a pond and sort of live off what grows. As I look into it I'm not finding any good guides or stories on how it's done. I'm not new to raising ducks but my experience comes from the suburbs. Anyone have any tips or links to good guides?
I will not be living on this property so I'm wondering if it's even ethical or possible? I was thinking wild mallards but I'm also aware they might lack the instinct of actual wild mallards. As always- thanks!

I used have my mallards out all night until something killed the male.Maine gets pretty cold so you're pond would freeze and they would have no where to go.You will need to provide them food as the food supply will be little to none after they eat it all.If you want domesticated ducks on your pond you will need to provide a coop and food for them.If you want ducks on your pond you might just want to attract the wild ones.Might want to do a search on that.

So I was thinking I could put a floating coop and some sort of fountain to keep the water from freezing. But I'm also aware that might not be enough.

From what I've heard the ducks never use those floating coops.An aerator might be a good idea.But there is still the food problem.

If I have to feed them every night I'm screwed, I'd be willing to plant stuff but and could probably manage grains like once every two weeks but that's it.

so its a vacation area you wont be at all the time?

you can get automatic deer feeders that fling pellets around, Thatd feed them for a few weeks

But if you have farm ducks alone while your away theres going to be loses to animals and the more they get the more theyll come back to eat your ducks

But mabye theyd get smart enough to hide and protect themselves in the water etc but ide expect to lose lots. I know a family who are off grid and have about 50 adult muscovies 100% free range year round. If they have 200 chicks within a year 150 are gone and they might have 75 adults left. Only the strongest, luckiest and smartest survive

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/8836...MIyuXK1NK24AIVDBgMCh0DeAzHEAQYASABEgKlX_D_BwE

Back
Top Bottom