Ducks in pools??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckMochi, Mar 23, 2018.

1. DuckMochi

DuckMochi Songster

Jun 16, 2017
    Tempe, AZ
    Hey there everyone it's been a while since I've posted here but alas I am back with another question! It's getting hot! And my grandfather has a pool nobody uses. It's chlorine and it is taken care of by a pool boy so it's not dirty or anything and I was wondering if I could take my ducks over for an hour or two to play in it? We don't have any water source deep enough for my pekin drake to actually swim/float so I thought it would be nice for him to get a chance to see what it's like but I am so worried about the chlorine. This wouldn't be an every day thing, like once in a great while, this may be the only time at all, but is it ok? There's a ton of mixed answers online and I've seen plenty of wild ducks hanging out in pools but I still want to make sure!

The Phantom likes this.
  2. DuckMochi

DuckMochi Songster

Jun 16, 2017
    Tempe, AZ
    Any feedback would be nice.

3. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    I'm not sure. I would like to know too.

4. Table4Six

Table4Six Crossing the Road

May 22, 2012
    Chlorine probably isn’t the best for him but one time probably wouldn’t be a big deal. I used to let my ducks swim in our salt water pool almost everyday no problem until I built them a proper pond and had no problems. You could look into buying him a pond liner. Some of the smaller ones at Lowe’s are decently priced.

The Phantom and Julie Birb like this.
  5. DuckMochi

DuckMochi Songster

Jun 16, 2017
    Tempe, AZ
    @Table4Six I'm not as much worried about my pekin drake than my little mallard hen honestly. I mean, I see mallards swimming in public pools ALL the time and I can't imagine how much chlorine they put in those

Table4Six and The Phantom like this.
  6. Table4Six

Table4Six Crossing the Road

May 22, 2012
    I think she’d be fine this once like I said my ducks used to swim in my pool all the time and one of them was my crested grey mallard and my two snowy mallard hens.

7. thumper650

thumper650 Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    I'd be more worried about the pool. You do know they poop a lot?
    I have small kiddie pools for my ducks, but I've discovered this week that their absolute favorite thing is a hole filled with mud!

CarleeAnn and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Here too, mud is in!! just add a bit of water.

CarleeAnn likes this.
  9. CarleeAnn

CarleeAnn Songster

Apr 29, 2017
    Louisiana
    I had the same question with a very similar situation:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chlorinated-pool.1211448/

Someone brought up the concern for Black Algae and that is what convinced me to not let them swim. It was so cute watching them do it that once and they dove and splashed all over the pool! We also had a pool man come out to tend to it, but I figured it had the potential to do a lot of harm and wasn’t worth the risk.

I (reluctantly) vote no!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. CarleeAnn

CarleeAnn Songster

Apr 29, 2017
    Louisiana
    Totally just saw you commented on my thread and mentioned your desire to take the duckies to your grandpas- oops! :lau

I’m so forgetful!:rolleyes:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: