Ducks Not Laying

emharris

Chirping
May 15, 2020
We got 2 older hens from some people about 2-3 weeks ago. They are a Cayuga and Runner. We added them to our flock while we were rearranging/ giving away some of our males. Despite being around 3 years old, they haven’t laid a single egg yet. One of them was sitting on her eggs for about 30 days when they were given to us. The assumption was that the eggs were bad. However, we are getting a little inpatient and want to Do whatever we can to make them comfortable and to start laying again. Is there a time frame or trick to get them to start laying again? These two are distant and impossible to catch (we haven’t even attempted since we first got them). Our other females are young (~3 months) and love us. They eat out of hands still and come up to us when we come into the garden where we keep them. We also have 1 male who is around 3 months.

Thanks for any help!

With our's, any form of drama (someone trying to touch them for example) would just prolong the egg laying strike. My KC's are super layers and they have gone longer than this without laying.

I would go for routine, treats and enjoy doing the best you can for your new girls who must be feeling right out of sorts. x

With our's, any form of drama (someone trying to touch them for example) would just prolong the egg laying strike. My KC's are super layers and they have gone longer than this without laying.

I would go for routine, treats and enjoy doing the best you can for your new girls who must be feeling right out of sorts. x

Do you know how long we should expect them to be on “strike”?

Do you know how long we should expect them to be on “strike”?

No - my KC ladies are a feisty independent bunch and they've gone four weeks without laying - if they've got upset again, you can set the clock back to zero.

This is how contrary they are - we drove them from the UK to Italy in the back of Jeep and the little madams laid the whole way and as soon as they got there.

Change the food ? Egg Strike.

Dogs barking more than usual ? Egg strike.

Put the drake in ? Egg strike

Take the drake out ? Egg strike.

You get the picture......:rant

Would not change them for the world though !

Change cause's a great deal of stress on birds, this consequently effects this their laying abilities too. Their likely still acclimating to their new home, give them some time and they should start laying eggs. Just note at this age you're not going to be getting the most you can be, if you want more, but some younger birds.

Back
Top Bottom