Ducks sticking togather? Follow the leader?

MommaBear

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
So I have some new additions to the family 5 adult indian runners, and 4 swedish ducklings. We live on a smallish plot 100 ft by about 75ft and have alot of puddles about full of bugs, as well as a vacant lot next to use with a small pondish thing that we can use. I know that I can train the ducks to come in at night, but what I want to know first off is whether or not the runners will all stay togather(one drake, 4 females)? Then I wanted to know if I would be able to teach the ducks boundries without barriers, so that they will stay close to home?
I was thinking that if there were a way to see which one is the leader the others stay close to I could tether it with a harness or cage it at the site I wanted them to stay close to. I want to free range them as much as possible especially with the abundance of food about for them in this small area, but need to contain them so they do not become a bother. I would let them out and see what happens but I tend to get distracted and forget things, wouldn't want to lose or chase down the whole flock.

I was also curiouse about whether the ducklings would be a part of that flock to or a separate one once they are big enough to let out?

I love to read so good links and sites are appriciated, 'just trying to learn as I go
wink.png

Tethering a duck to a certain spot would mean it couldnt escape a possible attack from a predator. And caging it could result in injury - or in the very least a very unhappy duck that would be frustated by constant attempts to escape the cage. While some ducks do tend to stay around the pen area - other flocks will travel over larger distances while foraging. Containing ducks without boundaires or fences is difficult but possible- but more than likely when you least expect it- they will still wander off further the the area you want them to stay in.

Hi MommaBear. I have 6 runner ducks. I recently put them in their new pen. I do close them up in there coop at night because I don't have anything on top of the area to keep pretitors out. It only took 3 days for them to put themselves in at night. I was very surprised. The doors can be wide open but they are ready for bed. They may have watched the chickens put themselves up.

I haven't let them free range yet. They are still not familiar enough with their new home. But, I do have chickens that I let free range. They stay home and really don't wonder to far. If and when they do/did I would herd them back home. Don't try to catch them just herd them back to where you want your birds. If you walk with 2 long sticks with your arms out part way (it looks like you have giant wings) and keep a fair distance you can manuever them home. They will learn the boundries. Just keep an eye on them until you feel they will stay put.

Yes, my ducks all stay very close together. Right now I"m the big scary monster until I sit in their area.... lol. Treats help too. They are only 6 weeks old but they learn quick.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom