Ducks with limited space.

First step is to research what kind of duck you want. You're in the city, so unless you have very understanding neighbours, they may be disturbing. If noise isn't an issue, you might want to look into some off the bantam breeds, they are smaller than regular ducks.

If you are worried about noise, then I would suggest Muscovy. (yes, I know everyone, of course I would suggest them, lol!). They are personable and inquisitive, can be very friendly, and they don't quack! The females make the sweetest little trilling noise!

The next thing is housing. What are they going to sleep in? This should be set up before you get them.

And then you need to decide if you're going to go with adults or ducklings. This time of year, you can get adult drakes for cheap or free. Drakes are also quieter than the females. But if you go with ducklings, that comes with a whole bunch of other considerations. You'll need a brooder for them (and enclosed container, like a storage bin, with a heat lamp.) They will need much more care than adults.

As for food, you should get duck-specific food from a feed store. You can also order it online. There are different formulations, depending on age and even gender of your ducks.

Have fun researching, and let us know what you decide! I'm so excited for you!

I have decided I will give it a try and see what happens, after talking to a friend today he has an allotment so if the worse comes to the worst I will move them there. I am going to put my daughters old paddling pool to use and will use it as a pond and I guess I can always just tip it and refill it if it gets stinky. Does anyone know the best feed for ducks (uk here) and also is there anything else I should be aware of ?
awesome! Good luck!
I'd recommend getting a breed like khaki campbells, they arent the loudest ducks, so wont be too bad with neighbour's. They also arent too large and are a pretty nice breed, commonly available. I'd get sexed ducklings or buy some adults so that you dont end up out of ratio. You'd probably be best going with all girls since you're having a small group

Cookie I feel your pain!

I'm in the UK with our tiny plots and expensive property.

We lived in a Victorian Terrace in the middle of town with a tiny back garden for 17 years, not enough space to swing a cat but I dreamed of having chickens

Last year we sold our beautiful but tiny terrace and bought a house with a much bigger garden. The house is probably a bit small for us but it was the garden of my dreams and soon it will be just my husband and I. We've got the chickens of my dreams, the ducks of my daughter's and a small area to grow veggies.

We are still in a town and my next dream is to get a small holding but for that we would probably need to win the lottery! Cheapest I've seen in my area is £1.3million for a few acres and a small house. I'd consider Wales or Norfolk but husband won't consider moving out of our immediate area ☹️ so I understand how difficult it is for you.

You can do it in a smaller area you just need to consider your options, call ducks are small so may suit you area (which sounds pretty big still for UK standards).

If I was younger I'd move country, maybe Portugal.

The shed is 120x55 inch 31 inch tall

You'll see anywhere from .25 square meters to .75 square meters of space per bird recommended depending on how harsh your winter gets and how much they'll be spending inside. As long as the shed is predator proof, and like @BelovedBirds says has good ventilation, then it should be adequately sized for a few small/medium sized ducks.

We have a bath, we refill ever two days. We drain the water into watering cans and water the garden so nothing is wasted but there is no reason why a pool won't work you can just scoop it out with a can or a bucket 👍

Chickens are cleaner and easier but ducks are just another level!

I'm with you on the change of lifestyle and pace. My husband needs the security of modern living and a normal job but if it were me I'd pack our family in a van and find some cheap land in any country and if find a way to live. Especially now my children are older, they can almost fend for themselves 😂

Attachments

• PXL_20220813_163734827.jpg
    PXL_20220813_163734827.jpg
    702.9 KB · Views: 2
I need someone to build something like that! As I've said before, if coming to Canada, let me know! Room and board in exchange for carpentry work! :D

As for Cayuga, I have those and they can get fairly large. Not as big as a Muscovy drake, but big enough. They are very beginner friendly, but tend to be aloof. Our Magpie were much friendlier, and also beginner friendly.

You sure you don't want to try Muscovy? :)

We have a bath, we refill ever two days. We drain the water into watering cans and water the garden so nothing is wasted but there is no reason why a pool won't work you can just scoop it out with a can or a bucket 👍

Chickens are cleaner and easier but ducks are just another level!

I'm with you on the change of lifestyle and pace. My husband needs the security of modern living and a normal job but if it were me I'd pack our family in a van and find some cheap land in any country and if find a way to live. Especially now my children are older, they can almost fend for themselves 😂
Who would have though a simple question about ducks would turn into this, I have a good mind to name my ducks after everyone in this thread ! @Tretinker I want to live in a shack in the middle of nowhere and be surrounded by by dirty ducks and calling quail and not needing to worry about neighbours :wee

I need someone to build something like that! As I've said before, if coming to Canada, let me know! Room and board in exchange for carpentry work! :D

As for Cayuga, I have those and they can get fairly large. Not as big as a Muscovy drake, but big enough. They are very beginner friendly, but tend to be aloof. Our Magpie were much friendlier, and also beginner friendly.

You sure you don't want to try Muscovy? :)
I will come to Canada :bow

Back
Top Bottom