Ducks with limited space.

Pics
Cookie I feel your pain!

I'm in the UK with our tiny plots and expensive property.

We lived in a Victorian Terrace in the middle of town with a tiny back garden for 17 years, not enough space to swing a cat but I dreamed of having chickens

Last year we sold our beautiful but tiny terrace and bought a house with a much bigger garden. The house is probably a bit small for us but it was the garden of my dreams and soon it will be just my husband and I. We've got the chickens of my dreams, the ducks of my daughter's and a small area to grow veggies.

We are still in a town and my next dream is to get a small holding but for that we would probably need to win the lottery! Cheapest I've seen in my area is £1.3million for a few acres and a small house. I'd consider Wales or Norfolk but husband won't consider moving out of our immediate area ☹️ so I understand how difficult it is for you.

You can do it in a smaller area you just need to consider your options, call ducks are small so may suit you area (which sounds pretty big still for UK standards).

If I was younger I'd move country, maybe Portugal.
Good for you @Tretinker. After living in a flat in London, I lived in a terraced in the north of England. It had a fenced back garden but with a small greenhouse and a garden shed, and parking for our car, there was no room for the bantam chickens I had always wanted from childhood. We moved to a more modern end terrace in the Midlands but the even smaller gardens were open plan so no chickens there either. Then I moved the the USA and whooppee half an acred completely fenced but I was working with a lot of travel and the county didn't permit chickens in our suburban neighbourhood. After 20 years I retired to Florida downsizing our house and onto a much smaller. Then my son got "day old" ducklings on a whim He lives close in to our local town and again keeping ducks is not permitted and he would have to get a permit with inspetions to keep maximum 5 chickens. [Whoever thinks that the USA is the land of the free has obviously not tried to keep back yard poultry.] Steep learning urve with those three little flufllies that miraculously thrived and are now delightful pekins, living under the radar in his back yard. Then Daffy came into my life -- a little abandoned muscovy duckling that was likely 2 days old and also nearly dead when I got him. He survived resucitation and hand rearing, and acquired ducky friends from a local wildlife rehabber. I now have an all drake flock including more recently acquired rehomes and rescues -- 2 juvenile pekin drakes added in April this year. All living under the radar in a neighborhood where ducks are not permitted!!
We have a bath, we refill ever two days. We drain the water into watering cans and water the garden so nothing is wasted but there is no reason why a pool won't work you can just scoop it out with a can or a bucket 👍

Chickens are cleaner and easier but ducks are just another level!

I'm with you on the change of lifestyle and pace. My husband needs the security of modern living and a normal job but if it were me I'd pack our family in a van and find some cheap land in any country and if find a way to live. Especially now my children are older, they can almost fend for themselves 😂
I think a bath is a great idea!! We used to have a long old cast iron bath in the garden with veggies growing in it after modernizing our bathroom in our north of England terrace. Oh if only I had that bath here now. Mind you, Daffy my original muscovy is an enormous muscovy drake and I am not sure he would haul himself up the slope to get in it. He loves his baths though unlike O Pato my other rescued muscovy drake who will not get into water. He makes do with dab washing from water in his drinking water tub. Little stinker. I am just turning out the ducks' paddlypool on my patio prior to hosing it down.

Good for you @Tretinker. After living in a flat in London, I lived in a terraced in the north of England. It had a fenced back garden but with a small greenhouse and a garden shed, and parking for our car, there was no room for the bantam chickens I had always wanted from childhood. We moved to a more modern end terrace in the Midlands but the even smaller gardens were open plan so no chickens there either. Then I moved the the USA and whooppee half an acred completely fenced but I was working with a lot of travel and the county didn't permit chickens in our suburban neighbourhood. After 20 years I retired to Florida downsizing our house and onto a much smaller. Then my son got "day old" ducklings on a whim He lives close in to our local town and again keeping ducks is not permitted and he would have to get a permit with inspetions to keep maximum 5 chickens. [Whoever thinks that the USA is the land of the free has obviously not tried to keep back yard poultry.] Steep learning urve with those three little flufllies that miraculously thrived and are now delightful pekins, living under the radar in his back yard. Then Daffy came into my life -- a little abandoned muscovy duckling that was likely 2 days old and also nearly dead when I got him. He survived resucitation and hand rearing, and acquired ducky friends from a local wildlife rehabber. I now have an all drake flock including more recently acquired rehomes and rescues -- 2 juvenile pekin drakes added in April this year. All living under the radar in a neighborhood where ducks are not permitted!!

I think a bath is a great idea!! We used to have a long old cast iron bath in the garden with veggies growing in it after modernizing our bathroom in our north of England terrace. Oh if only I had that bath here now. Mind you, Daffy my original muscovy is an enormous muscovy drake and I am not sure he would haul himself up the slope to get in it. He loves his baths though unlike O Pato my other rescued muscovy drake who will not get into water. He makes do with dab washing from water in his drinking water tub. Little stinker. I am just turning out the ducks' paddlypool on my patio prior to hosing it down.

How wonderful you now have rescued ducks! And it is interesting that private property can have such difficult limitations. I won't pretend to understand how the different states and counties work in the US it makes my head hurt. It seems like the EU but less friendly 😉

Cookie if @ruthhope can make it work I can't see why you couldn't give it a try. It can be your small starter flock until you have the space for as many as @Canadian Wind who if they need help building those houses we might have to get some flights booked.

Although I must ay my ducks are in the dog house, husband was supervising free range time last night and they ate the one and only butternut squash I've managed to grow....although I think I blame husband more! 😂

Back
Top Bottom