Ducks with limited space.

Ah ok I was going to hatch mine, I was going to incubate them, I have a good bator so the hatch rate is always really high but if this is a bad move let me know. I would set 6 to account for losses with hope to hatch 4.
Hatching can be an amazing experience that allows you to bond with the ducks well, but you would need to consider the ratio. Hatching could be an option if you're able to rehome the drakes, or you could potentially keep males and females separate if you end up out of ratio- but this would complicate your life more. It's really up to you at the end of the day, but I do think buying sexed ducks is a safer decision of you arent okay with rehoming/separating.

how big is the shed? They'll need some decent ventilation but if its big enough it could definitely be adapted if needed.
Cayugas are beautiful birds, I'm not sure how beginner friendly they are either. But its good theres no issue with noise, that means you can be a bit more picky about the kind of ducks you want to keep!
The shed is 120x55 inch 31 inch tall

Hatching can be an amazing experience that allows you to bond with the ducks well, but you would need to consider the ratio. Hatching could be an option if you're able to rehome the drakes, or you could potentially keep males and females separate if you end up out of ratio- but this would complicate your life more. It's really up to you at the end of the day, but I do think buying sexed ducks is a safer decision of you arent okay with rehoming/separating.
I am worried about ratio tbh. I hatched many quail but sometimes I ended up with a flock of roosters. Lucky where I work we do a combination of growing your own vegetables and keeping chickens/quail as a way to reduce the need on supermarkets. I have always been able to rehome my spare quail but I am not sure about ducks.

Cookie I feel your pain!

I'm in the UK with our tiny plots and expensive property.

We lived in a Victorian Terrace in the middle of town with a tiny back garden for 17 years, not enough space to swing a cat but I dreamed of having chickens

Last year we sold our beautiful but tiny terrace and bought a house with a much bigger garden. The house is probably a bit small for us but it was the garden of my dreams and soon it will be just my husband and I. We've got the chickens of my dreams, the ducks of my daughter's and a small area to grow veggies.

We are still in a town and my next dream is to get a small holding but for that we would probably need to win the lottery! Cheapest I've seen in my area is £1.3million for a few acres and a small house. I'd consider Wales or Norfolk but husband won't consider moving out of our immediate area ☹️ so I understand how difficult it is for you.

You can do it in a smaller area you just need to consider your options, call ducks are small so may suit you area (which sounds pretty big still for UK standards).

If I was younger I'd move country, maybe Portugal.

I have decided I will give it a try and see what happens, after talking to a friend today he has an allotment so if the worse comes to the worst I will move them there. I am going to put my daughters old paddling pool to use and will use it as a pond and I guess I can always just tip it and refill it if it gets stinky. Does anyone know the best feed for ducks (uk here) and also is there anything else I should be aware of ?
You will need to empty and refill the pond daily as it will get dirty!!
You can hose down places where poop gets too smelly. My ducks come up onto my patio and back steps and so I hose them down every evening. The effluent flows onto my asparagus bed and ornamental ginger plants. The latter are 12ft tall and the asparagus is doing well too.

BelovedBirds might be able to help you information on the best duck food available to you -- she is in England.

But mostly be assured that your 10m x 10m space is ample for 3 or 4 ducks.

Last edited:
Cookie I feel your pain!

I'm in the UK with our tiny plots and expensive property.

We lived in a Victorian Terrace in the middle of town with a tiny back garden for 17 years, not enough space to swing a cat but I dreamed of having chickens

Last year we sold our beautiful but tiny terrace and bought a house with a much bigger garden. The house is probably a bit small for us but it was the garden of my dreams and soon it will be just my husband and I. We've got the chickens of my dreams, the ducks of my daughter's and a small area to grow veggies.

We are still in a town and my next dream is to get a small holding but for that we would probably need to win the lottery! Cheapest I've seen in my area is £1.3million for a few acres and a small house. I'd consider Wales or Norfolk but husband won't consider moving out of our immediate area ☹️ so I understand how difficult it is for you.

You can do it in a smaller area you just need to consider your options, call ducks are small so may suit you area (which sounds pretty big still for UK standards).

If I was younger I'd move country, maybe Portugal.
Yeah exactly, my prioritys have changed so much, the past years at one time I was only worried about what address had the fastest internet connection. I am getting older now (44) and I am really fed up with the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

My friends think I am loosing my mind wanting to keep birds and living a simple life but it's been more empowering the last year than any city life has ever been. I give my quail to my friends and they often message me saying thanks and I should come and visit them and see their flock, so there must be method in my madness. I think you need to be a little bit eccentric.

Maybe I am crazy but I feel like I am on the right path :)

You will need to empty and refill the pond daily as it will get dirty!!
You can hose down places where poop gets too smelly. My ducks come up onto my patio and back steps and so I hoe them down every evening. The effluent flows onto my asparagus bed and ornamental ginger plants. The latter are 12ft tall and the asparagus is doing well too.

BelovedBirds might be able to help you nformation on the best duck food available to you -- she is in England.

But mostly be assured that your 10m x 10m space is ample for 3 or 4 ducks.
Can hardly wait for my dirty dogs :love

The shed is 120x55 inch 31 inch tall

You'll see anywhere from .25 square meters to .75 square meters of space per bird recommended depending on how harsh your winter gets and how much they'll be spending inside. As long as the shed is predator proof, and like @BelovedBirds says has good ventilation, then it should be adequately sized for a few small/medium sized ducks.

You'll see anywhere from .25 square meters to .75 square meters of space per bird recommended depending on how harsh your winter gets and how much they'll be spending inside. As long as the shed is predator proof, and like @BelovedBirds says has good ventilation, then it should be adequately sized for a few small/medium sized ducks.
Amazing community here thanks for the reply :)

Back
Top Bottom