Ducks with special Needs

Pics
Im new to ducks and just got 4 adults from aady who didnt take very good care of them. She may have raised tbem5from ducklings because she said one got stuck under a bowl for 4 days or so, but she couldnt remember which one. Ive determined it was probably my pekin hen because sometimes she acts neurotic and cant walk well at all. I dont mind a special needs duck. She gets long fine I just need to make adjustments for her. She holds her own in our flock of ducks, chickens and guineas. She doesnt care for chickens much though lol
Hi and welcome to the thread (and duck raising)! Wow - stuck under a bowl for 4 days? Makes you wonder how exactly that happens.
1f914.png
They sound much better off with you.

Your girl sounds like she has gumption! You mentioned her trouble with walking - if you haven't already, you may want to try giving her supplemental niacin. Ducks have a higher niacin requirement, and niacin deficiency can cause leg weakness (among other symptoms). Metzger Farms has an overview on its blog: http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html?m=1.

Best to you in your SN duck adventure!

Hi and welcome to the thread (and duck raising)! Wow - stuck under a bowl for 4 days? Makes you wonder how exactly that happens.
1f914.png
They sound much better off with you.

Your girl sounds like she has gumption! You mentioned her trouble with walking - if you haven't already, you may want to try giving her supplemental niacin. Ducks have a higher niacin requirement, and niacin deficiency can cause leg weakness (among other symptoms). Metzger Farms has an overview on its blog: http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html?m=1.

Best to you in your SN duck adventure!

She sure does! Im not sure how they didnt notice for four days since I cant go 12 hours without checking on them!

I add brewers yeast to their food bowl for the niacin. I hope thats enough?

hi quacker619 I was thinking about you and Dandelion over this week end I am glad you are doing ok. Chester is doing fine he even bred carrie I filled the large kiddy pool and there they were going to town I was happy for him. there are three other drakes with him and some females but they don.t mess with him or carrie. could be they are afraid of Charlie his body guard. HA
That is just too cute....thanks for the update

She sure does! Im not sure how they didnt notice for four days since I cant go 12 hours without checking on them!

Brewers yeast is what i have always used and i think it works good........welcome and please keep us updated from time to time

Hey guys one of my girls is egg bound.......she layed yesterday but to day is walking funny and keeps laying down....is it ok to leave her alone for today and she if she lays it or should i do something now?

Hey guys one of my girls is egg bound.......she layed yesterday but to day is walking funny and keeps laying down....is it ok to leave her alone for today and she if she lays it or should i do something now?
I would get her in a warm tub of water and let her float for a while sometimes it will relax them enough they can lay. You can't ignore being egg bound it can kill them so if she doesn't lay by morning you may want to get her vet care. Do you have any form of calcium? even tums will work crush one up and put in a cup of water offer this to her she needs extra calcium right now too.

x2 on @quackers619's response re the brewer's yeast - that's what I use, too. I just didn't want to miss mentioning what could be a relatively "easy fix", but it sounds like you have it covered already.
1f642.png

Hi everyone... Ali is doing well. our snow and ice melted last week so i took her out and put her in the pond for a few hours. i have one buff O duck that picks on her a little, bu Ali holds her own w/her.
Yesterday and most of this week we are getting snow again. we are already up to 1ft of snow, so that means Ali will have to stay in longer and i wont be able to clean the duck house for awhile, OH DARN! even though it is a hard job, i really do want to clean it.
Hope your special duck is doing great also, hugs to your ducks.

Hi everyone... Ali is doing well. our snow and ice melted last week so i took her out and put her in the pond for a few hours. i have one buff O duck that picks on her a little, bu Ali holds her own w/her.
Yesterday and most of this week we are getting snow again. we are already up to 1ft of snow, so that means Ali will have to stay in longer and i wont be able to clean the duck house for awhile, OH DARN! even though it is a hard job, i really do want to clean it.
Hope your special duck is doing great also, hugs to your ducks.

Howdy! Glad to hear Ali is well and standing up for herself...go, girl!
big_smile.png

Hope you, Ali, and all of your animals stay warm and safe. We're having some pretty wicked t-storms here today and everything is drenched (like I was when I went out for morning chores), so the ducks are happy as clams. They do prefer the wet to the cold.

Thanks for updating us and take care!

Back
Top Bottom