Ducks with special Needs

Pics
This is a great thread!!! Thanks quackers619! Dandelion is adorable!

I wouldn't necessarily call my ducks special needs.....because they don't need any extra help from me but.....

I have a duck, Mr. Fiona, who had a serious eye infection and lost the sight in one eye. After being nursed back to health from various other issues and being separated from the flock for near 3 months he is now the Alpha over 2 drakes and 13 gals. He is also the protector. If the gals split up into 2 groups he makes sure each of the other drakes splits up with them and then he runs back and forth between both groups to check on every one constantly until both groups come back together. I love him to death. Great great duck.

I also have a female duck, Annibelle aka Hoover (because she eats everything) that only has 2 toes on one foot. The vet amputated her toe due to an infection that he feared would spread if we didn't. He said she might be a little slower than the other ducks and might kind of swim in circles but that she could live a pretty normal life. She hasn't skipped a beat and you would never know she was any different than before. Always first to the food and treats and swims just like the rest.

My third "special needs" girl we aren't really sure what is wrong with her yet but suspect a congenital defect or possibly she had a niacin deficiency when she was younger before we found her. She can't bend her knee joints and walks very stiff legged. She may have had a spinal injury at some point. We don't know. And although she is a little slower then every one else and walks and runs a little differently, she still catches up and is a happy girl just following everyone around. Mr Fiona always knows where she is and never lets her get too far behind.

I hope someone will read the stories on this thread and decide to give their "imperfect" duck or duckling a chance.

That's too cute. I'm wondering if I will have one with special needs. He/she hatched 4 days after the rest and is very tiny. he's pretty care free and week...I hope he makes it! he's a few days old now and im starting to worry. maybe i;ll add some yeast to his food.

That's too cute. I'm wondering if I will have one with special needs. He/she hatched 4 days after the rest and is very tiny. he's pretty care free and week...I hope he makes it! he's a few days old now and im starting to worry. maybe i;ll add some yeast to his food.
It's actually something that is rec by experts.[Not just us here on BYC] Be sure to get poultry nutri drench along with Nutritional yeast or "plain" niacin

I will be sure to get some!! My little guy was gone this morning... He didn't make it. We were very sad as we really thought he was going to be on :(

I will be sure to get some!! My little guy was gone this morning... He didn't make it. We were very sad as we really thought he was going to be on
sad.png
Very sorry for you loss @sugar101

frow.gif
Hello everyone! Have just finished reading through this thread as we had our second clutch of muscovy eggs hatch last Tuesday under our gorgeous 'Pip'. One appears to be blind as it keeps bumping into things and getting left behind and it's eyes are smaller and not as round as the others. Mother Pip is making sure it gets well look after though and helping it keep up. She's such a gorgeous Mum.

Hi! Sorry to hear that Dandelion keeps having seizures. We had a roster that was having alot of seizures from 3 days old. (didn't know it was a roster at the time). We found giving a mixture of vitamin B complex and also magnesium really helped. In fact I think it was the magnesium that helped stop the seizures as it is a muscle relaxant. They seizures certainly seemed to be less frequent by giving him this. Unfortunately he was also blind and possibly intellectually disabled as he had quite and uncoordinated walk and was uncoordinating eating and therefore was a bit on the skinning side because despite spending alot of time at the food bowl pecking he would often forget to open his beak.

Anyway, might be worth trying Dandelion on some magnesium. We use to give it to Pepper 2-3 times a day intially, and then as seizures started to lesson we gradually reduced the dose to the point where we only give it to him after a seizure. We would give him some immediately after the seizure and then a few extra doses in the day or two following.

frow.gif
Hello everyone! Have just finished reading through this thread as we had our second clutch of muscovy eggs hatch last Tuesday under our gorgeous 'Pip'. One appears to be blind as it keeps bumping into things and getting left behind and it's eyes are smaller and not as round as the others. Mother Pip is making sure it gets well look after though and helping it keep up. She's such a gorgeous Mum.

Hi and welcome to the thread! Thanks for sharing the story of your special needs Muscovy...I have one, too. He was born with some kind of eye anomaly that sounds a bit like your SN guy/gal's - one very small eye and the other is not really normal, either (though closer to normal-looking). His vision impairment didn't stop him from taking flight, though! He free ranges with the rest of his clan and does just fine for himself. I hope yours thrives, too!
big_smile.png

:frow Hello everyone!  Have just finished reading through this thread as we had our second clutch of muscovy eggs hatch last Tuesday under our gorgeous 'Pip'.  One appears to be blind as it keeps bumping into things and getting left behind and it's eyes are smaller and not as round as the others.  Mother Pip is making sure it gets well look after though and helping it keep up.  She's such a gorgeous Mum. 

Hi Del, WELCOME. your lil pip is blessed to have you. thanks for sharing your story w/us; it gives us strenth to know we are not alone. so glad mama muscovy is taking care of her ling.

Back
Top Bottom