Ducks wont swim?

Mama Ducker

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 17, 2013
Southern NH
We built our ducks a small beautiful pond and at first they LOVED it, now they haven't been in it in over a week. I don't know if they got spooked in it or if it is just too cold but I thought Mallards would swim even in the winter. it has been down to 30 degrees here at night and 50s and 60s during the day. I feel like I should bring them in for a bath in the house. They are acting fine but just will not go near the pond.

We built our ducks a small beautiful pond and at first they LOVED it, now they haven't been in it in over a week. I don't know if they got spooked in it or if it is just too cold but I thought Mallards would swim even in the winter. it has been down to 30 degrees here at night and 50s and 60s during the day. I feel like I should bring them in for a bath in the house. They are acting fine but just will not go near the pond.
How old to start with? and it does sound like something may have scared them. is you pond dug into the ground? if so you may have a snapping turtle and they can do some serious damage even kill ducks.
welcome-byc.gif
one way to see if it's because of the cold which I doubt but set them up with something to swim in close to the house if they go in then it's something in or around the pond.

The pond is like 10'by 10'. its lined and in our back yard. one day about 2 weeks ago I came home and the liner, which wasn't yet buried had blown inward to towards the water. The ducks haven't been in since that day. since then its been covered in dirt and flat rocks so they can easily walk in. they really loved it for about a week once it was installed.

The pond is like 10'by 10'. its lined and in our back yard. one day about 2 weeks ago I came home and the liner, which wasn't yet buried had blown inward to towards the water. The ducks haven't been in since that day. since then its been covered in dirt and flat rocks so they can easily walk in. they really loved it for about a week once it was installed.
I think you solved the mystery, they may have been in the pond when the big monster flew at them[pond liner] I don't know how you feel about walking into the pond this time of year but that may get them motivate enough to follow and see that the boogie man has been eliminated. Ducks scare pretty easy being preyed upon by some many even pond liners. If you have dried meal worms they will float and might also get them motivated in trying it again.

They are 7 months old and have been outside since June, they had a small pen at night that had a kiddie pool in it. It also had a dog house but they only used it 2twice. Now they have been in the duck house that we built since September 13th. and the duck pond was installed about a month ago.

They are 7 months old and have been outside since June, they had a small pen at night that had a kiddie pool in it. It also had a dog house but they only used it 2twice. Now they have been in the duck house that we built since September 13th. and the duck pond was installed about a month ago.
I am thinking the pond liner scared them and they are afraid to go in now, Today I changed my reg hose out for one of the kind you see advertised that collapses when you turn off the water and drain? it's black and when I turned on the water and it started moving to fill up There was a panic among the flock I am thinking they thought it was a blk snake since we have a lot of them and they come through the yard a lot in the summer. It was funny to me but not to them. Oh and forgot to say
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thank you! Im having fun with them and this site is great for advice!
Let us know what works and when you get them back in, there have been others that have had similar trouble so it is always good when some one actually gets them back in the pond after a scare. and how they did it.

Back
Top Bottom