Ducks...

shadust1

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
loretto, pa
So i have 2 peking ducks...pretty positive one is male..one is female...they love each other...fight too...hilarious to watch..the other day the male duck had the female by the scruff of her neck pushing her down to the ground..the female couldnt get into the pool so she was squacking and bothering the male..lmao...so anyway to my point...was told yesterday by my boyfriend that his dad(who is 85) is bringing 2 male ducks over to the ponds...which is great but my question is...since there will be 3 males now and only 1 female...will the ducks fight over her even though my two r a couple??? we cant just say no to his dad because my boyfriend inherited the land and all the ponds from his dad and that would just be disrespectful..so my boyfriend said if that happens guess we will have to get two more females...is that what is gonna happen..will we have to get two more ducks...lol...or will they all just get along???

You will have to get more females. The males will overbreed her and possibly drown her.

Gang rape is common....you have to get more females. I have a few males and many females, and they still come out with a bald patch on the back of their necks.

The males will mount anything that moves, and I have seen a female with a male on top and another male on top of him....or worse on top of her head. I feel bad for the girls sometimes, especially in the water. They are often held with their head under water. Good thing it's quick. I had two mallard males that followed my Rouen female constantly, they were three peas in a pod....and one day the two boys were gone. No clue what happened or where they went.

Up until then I had 5 males and 9 females. Now, I have ....gee. Let me count.

Out of the original I have 2 Cayuga and one Rouen males......I have Rouen, 3 cayuga(one is lame duck and keeps climbing into the pool and then getting stuck since she had a broken toe and bum leg) two GH 300, and 2 blue swedish females, so 8 females and 3 males.

Out of the babies (all mixed and some gone to new homes) I have at least one male, and 6 females I think....and a gray baby that is about 4 days old. Hope that one is male too.

here is a quick webcam shot of the new gray one. Blue swedish mixed with one of the original flock. Blurry, but you get the idea. It's cute. Champagne is her name until she ends up being Sylvester.

73233_photo_on_2011-06-30_at_1408.jpg

Last edited:
First of all when they "fight" they're actually mating, if you didn't know that. Second get more than 2 more girls. 4 or 5 girls would be better.
If getting that many girls is not possible then get rid of a boy or two....

thanks for all of the comments...holy crap...there is noway im gonna be able to get more adult females that fast..ive been trying to look online for places that sell them and i cant find anyplace...guess well play it by ear...lol...thank god my two ducks dont like the pond so they wont be near the other two males....lol..for now...

Quote:
Don't freak out. It REALLY depends on the duck. Some males like to pair off and choose just one or two females to mate with, and it wouldn't really make any difference how many other females you got. Others will mate with ANY females, so getting more would be better. I would start with just one or two more girls and see how it goes. It all depends on how they interact with each other.

Back
Top Bottom