Duckwing Leghorns

Pics
There is a couple that I stumbled into on Craigslist a little North of us;not too far,they have Black;Buff;and Silver Leghorns.They have one particular rooster that is exhibiting a slight beige to cream color in his hackle and saddle.Would this rooster be something I should try to obtain if I were to try a line using Silver rooster x L.Brown hens?
Screenshot_2019-10-19-09-27-46(1) (1).png
Screenshot_2019-10-19-09-27-26.png

It's Sandhill Preservation and if you go that route I wish you luck on even getting birds from them let alone the right breed or ones that even resembles the breed.
If you go the crossing in legbars it's easy to see what they would look like. They would be just like the legbars without the barring.
That route would also mean you'd have to breed out the crests and blue egg genes.

It's Sandhill Preservation and if you go that route I wish you luck on even getting birds from them let alone the right breed or ones that even resembles the breed.
If you go the crossing in legbars it's easy to see what they would look like. They would be just like the legbars without the barring.
That route would also mean you'd have to breed out the crests and blue egg genes.
What do you think of the Silver rooster I posted a pic of;I'm think about getting?

I'm not planning of getting anything from Sandhill. Just wanted to point out that they have Duckwing Dorkings I don't plan on getting any of that stock.

If he is indeed a silver then he also carries one gold gene.
That's what happens when a male gets one copy of each. I've produce quite a few of them and that one has a darker yellow then most of mine get.
As far as using him for anything IMO he's useless except to reproduce some males that will look simular.
Silver/gold is sex linked so all you'd ever produce from him as far as pullets would be silvers or golds.
No matter what you do all you will produce is silver cockerels, silver pullets, gold cockerels, gold pullets and silver/gold cockerels.
I just don't see the point in that route if you're actually trying to get a line of "goldens"

If he is indeed a silver then he also carries one gold gene.
That's what happens when a male gets one copy of each. I've produce quite a few of them and that one has a darker yellow then most of mine get.
As far as using him for anything IMO he's useless except to reproduce some males that will look simular.
Silver/gold is sex linked so all you'd ever produce from him as far as pullets would be silvers or golds.
No matter what you do all you will produce is silver cockerels, silver pullets, gold cockerels, gold pullets and silver/gold cockerels.
I just don't see the point in that route if you're actually trying to get a line of "goldens"
What would YOU do?

First I'd find a pic of what I was trying to create or duplicate so I'd have an actual goal to work towards.
There's so many different birds being referred to as goldens that aren't the same genetically.
When someone says they want to make goldens but then show a half dozen pics of birds that are mo all different it makes it hard to get a plan together.

If it was me I'd use dark brown leghorns.
I'd concentrate on having them based on partridge. Breed out the mahogany and breed in a dilute to lighten them up even more.
That's just me though. I like to work outside the box most times.

What I'm looking for is represented by the pics that I posted in the beginning of this thread. Same as my avatar. We call it Duckwing and overseas it's Partridge I guess.

If it was me I'd use dark brown leghorns.
I'd concentrate on having them based on partridge. Breed out the mahogany and breed in a dilute to lighten them up even more.
That's just me though. I like to work outside the box most times.
What would be the breeding?
Dark brown rooster or hen bred with what color rooster or hen?

Back
Top Bottom