Duckwing Leghorns

Pics
Here in the states light brown leghorns are duckwing e÷.
Dark brown leghorns are partridge eb.
Your avatar pic is a duckwing that carries both silver and gold.
Breed either way. A silver to a light brown or a light brown to a silver.
It more often then not doesn't always produce a cockerel with the red shoulders though.
After that though there is no where to go. You can't produce a hen that carries both gold and silver and the cockerels that do won't breed true for it.
That bird is a color cross and nothing more. There is no way to further a project like it.

Here in the states light brown leghorns are duckwing e÷.
Dark brown leghorns are partridge eb.
Your avatar pic is a duckwing that carries both silver and gold.
Breed either way. A silver to a light brown or a light brown to a silver.
It more often then not doesn't always produce a cockerel with the red shoulders though.
After that though there is no where to go. You can't produce a hen that carries both gold and silver and the cockerels that do won't breed true for it.
That bird is a color cross and nothing more. There is no way to further a project like it.
Ok so you had stated earlier Dark Brown Leghorns ,you have me there. Now give me starter map.What to what. I have the space to go either way.I'm asking an O.G. for some guidance.Either way I see it as a journey.

Ok so you had stated earlier Dark Brown Leghorns ,you have me there. Now give me starter map.What to what. I have the space to go either way.I'm asking an O.G. for some guidance.Either way I see it as a journey.
Silver to light brown is best. You'll get pure silver duckwing pullets.

Light browns and dark browns are different.
Light brown are gold duckwing.
Dark brown are mahogany partridge. They do carry gold but have mahogany to darken it to red.
You'll have to eventually sort out the e+ and Db and also decide if you want to keep the mahogany or not.
Problem is you'll need some kind of dilute brought in. Deciding which and getting it brought in will be the headache.

Light browns and dark browns are different.
Light brown are gold duckwing.
Dark brown are mahogany partridge. They do carry gold but have mahogany to darken it to red.
You'll have to eventually sort out the e+ and Db and also decide if you want to keep the mahogany or not.
Problem is you'll need some kind of dilute brought in. Deciding which and getting it brought in will be the headache.
Yeah, I would imagine a challenge to get there and then the challenge to make the desired result repeatable. I've had some luck with terriers in the past. But that was for behavior, with color being secondary or not a factor at all.I've had good results with backcrossing to an original animal that was related to the present specimen that I was working with,but again,color was not what I was aiming for,and of course, dogs are not chickens. This will be uncharted waters for me, but I think the journey will be worth it.
I will start with a Silver rooster on a L. Brown hen.
I will also have a separate pen for Silver Rooster x D. Brown hens and see where that goes.
I've secured that Silver Rooster with the Creme hackle and saddle that I posted a pic on, and use him in the baseline/foundation.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom