Dude... yes whey!

Quote:
I don't consider myself a "ricotta maker" but I sure try. I just finished a batch and it's cooling and draining. I've been making ricotta for the last year and sometimes it's great - sometimes it's not fit for the chickens.

If you can spare the fresh milk, a gallon will yield much more than just using whey. I have a recipe that uses whole milk and whey, but I've never tried it. I've tried it using whey left from making mozzarella and that yielded very little.
I like making it with a gallon of milk that has had the cream skimmed from it. Using a double boiler, bring that to 185 degrees and remove from heat. Mix in 1/4 cider vinegar and stir. The ricotta curds form quickly. Drain in a cloth lined colander for 20 minutes. (I don't have luck using the cloth and usually just use the colander. I have little waste and it works for me.) Salt can then be added. I use kosher or canning salt for cheese.

Today's ricotta yielded 1 1/2 - 2 cups. I haven't measured it yet, but it looks to be about that much.
I'm happy with that.

BTW, we are blessed to get milk from up to 3 cows so I use that. I do use recipes from Mary Jane Toth and she has goats, but says that all her recipes use either milk. I'm not sure about milk from a store for making ricotta.

Back
Top Bottom