Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
I have a no-so-crazy idea forming in my head!

This year I will be getting the endangered Barred Holland breed and heritage Rhode Island Reds. These are both real duel-purpose birds.

If, as a side project, I breed the Holland females to a RIR male, the chicks would be sex-linked. Because they would be real duel-purpose birds (though not pure bred) both the males and females would be useful.

I live near a city were roosters aren't allowed in most areas (they are allowed in mine, thankfully!) and people like sexed chicks so they don't have to worry about roosters. But out a little ways in the country there could be some people who would like roosters for meat.

I would be selling pure blooded Holland's and RIR too, but as straight-run. I think Barred Hollands can be sexed at hatch already due to the father having two barred genes, but I would sell as un-sexed.

Hollands lay white eggs and RIR lay brown, so the offspring eggs would be somewhere in between.

Is this a good idea, or not so good? Concerns?

It all comes down to what people in your area want unless you are able to ship. Being able to guarantee pullets is definitely a plus. But, marketability of crossbred chicks ultimately depends on the color of the bird and the color egg they produce.

Crossing a Rhode Island Red cock on a Barred Holland hen should produce a bird that essentially looks like any other Black Sex-Link. Your pullets should be black with some red feathers in the chest/neck area. I'd expect a cream-colored egg which would set them apart from the typical Black Sex-Link crosses hatcheries produce. This could be a positive or a negative depending on your buyer.

Males would be barred. They'll basically look like the mothers except they'll likely have some red leakage. They aren't going to compete with something like a Cornish Cross on growth rates or feed conversion, so there may not be much interest in the males as meat birds. Dark-feathered birds aren't the best for producing clean looking carcasses, but I've definitely used them.

It all comes down to what people in your area want unless you are able to ship. Being able to guarantee pullets is definitely a plus. But, marketability of crossbred chicks ultimately depends on the color of the bird and the color egg they produce.

Crossing a Rhode Island Red cock on a Barred Holland hen should produce a bird that essentially looks like any other Black Sex-Link. Your pullets should be black with some red feathers in the chest/neck area. I'd expect a cream-colored egg which would set them apart from the typical Black Sex-Link crosses hatcheries produce. This could be a positive or a negative depending on your buyer.

Males would be barred. They'll basically look like the mothers except they'll likely have some red leakage. They aren't going to compete with something like a Cornish Cross on growth rates or feed conversion, so there may not be much interest in the males as meat birds. Dark-feathered birds aren't the best for producing clean looking carcasses, but I've definitely used them.
Thank you for these good points to consider! It would definitely be a different field than hatchery sex-links, and could vary in positivity. I might give it a little test and see how it works someday!

I like the Barred Hollands I have. I eat my own roosters, most people will not take one around here, does not mater if it is a rare breed. They dressed out about 2 pounds @ ~12 to 14 weeks. Not a modern meat bird by any means. If I were to make a sex link, I would use an Andalusian or Americana so I would have white eggs, or colored eggs. My reason to have the Barred Hollands is to have some white eggs in my flock. Colored eggs from the cross-bred hens would be a plus. Your pure bred girls would lay the white, cross bred would lay the pretty colors. You can tell the sex very easily by 4 weeks, and sell them then. Most of my buyers are not up to brooding chicks. They only want 4-5 birds, and they want pets that lay pretty eggs. Barred Hollands are sweet birds and make nice pets. Town line uses a Barred Rock for this cross: https://townlinehatchery.com/product/plymouth-blue/

I like the Barred Hollands I have. I eat my own roosters, most people will not take one around here, does not mater if it is a rare breed. They dressed out about 2 pounds @ ~12 to 14 weeks. Not a modern meat bird by any means. If I were to make a sex link, I would use an Andalusian or Americana so I would have white eggs, or colored eggs. My reason to have the Barred Hollands is to have some white eggs in my flock. Colored eggs from the cross-bred hens would be a plus. Your pure bred girls would lay the white, cross bred would lay the pretty colors. You can tell the sex very easily by 4 weeks, and sell them then. Most of my buyers are not up to brooding chicks. They only want 4-5 birds, and they want pets that lay pretty eggs. Barred Hollands are sweet birds and make nice pets. Town line uses a Barred Rock for this cross: https://townlinehatchery.com/product/plymouth-blue/
A colorful basket is wonderful! I'm glad you like your Hollands, I am really excited to try them! Thanks for the feedback!

Sexed bantam Cochins are a great idea! What colors are you using? Pictures?
They're still chicks now, but I'm using a barred female with a blue or black Frizzle male.

I'll get blue and black (or just black) females and barred males each with a chance of frizzling (imagine a barred frizzle)
20210402_145930.jpg
20210324_090919.jpg
20210402_150205.jpg

Back
Top Bottom