dumb human mistake- need advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LemonBalm, Apr 27, 2008.

1. LemonBalm

LemonBalm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2007
    I have 9 eggs under a broody hen- tomorrow is day 21. I lift her up once a day to 'check'- you know, no broken eggs, no hen poop...today, when I lifted her for a second-one of the eggs rolled away , hit the side of the coop and cracked.
    a teeny crack.....is there anything I should do???????????

Thanks, Everyone.

-Jude

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Put it back under her and hope for the best!

Good luck with the hatch

3. LemonBalm

Feb 23, 2007
    Thanks...... I am hopeful!

4. rockyroo

rockyroo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2008
    its in a vairly sturdy enviornment now as i found out recently the chances are it will make it gd luck

5. Skiing Jules

Skiing Jules New Egg

Apr 26, 2008
    Newberry Springs, CA
    I'm glad I read this, because I have a broody hen, and besides giving her food and water, I don't know what else I should be checking for. We have no rooster, so I know her eggs are all infertile. I just want her to be healthy and happy until I can trick her into thinking she hatched some day-olds or until she gets over it.

Also, how do you move her to check anything? Mine goes ballistic when I get near her to change her food and water. I couldn't imagine trying to pick her up.

Thanks for any info!

6. LemonBalm

Feb 23, 2007
    THis hen is quite loud when disturbed but does NOT peck me. And, I have some hens that will draw blood even NOT broddy! So, I appreciate her gentle nature.
    It all depends on the hen.- Wear gloves.
    I don't keep a rooster but when she showed signs of REALLY sitting tight I borrowed a rooster and paired him up with some of my best girls for about a week.and this broody girl has done a GOOD job of sitting!
    Here's HOPING for some peeps tomorrow!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by