Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

My brother calls them my "$1 chickens"...says you get what you pay for.... but his kids prefer my chicken over the stuff they get at home any day of the week and twice on Sunday. They are always begging to let them take home some of my canned chicken.

It's called flavor, Bub, something that has been absent from store chicken for years upon years.
wink.png

How about a few of the nationally known chicken producer for eggs they ran out of Washington state
because the horrible conditions chickens with no feet

My mother accused me of being blood-thirsty because I kill animals for food. Because my kids are fully aware of where food comes from, and how it gets on the table. Because I choose not to buy factory farmed meat. Because I would rather eat an animal that lived a healthy and humane life, on my property or a few miles down the road rather than something that lived in terrible conditions and came for who knows where.

I'm betting she eats meat from the most cruel animal food production system there has ever been in history...the current commercial agriculture system in the US. 

I get the same thing from my sister, who calls me a "murderer" for the same reason....but she has more animals die from predators, trauma, neglect and illness than anyone I've ever known in all my life....most of the animals there suffer horrible, horrible deaths and some suffer for months prior to dying.  We call her farm the "Death Farm", akin to hell for animals...but she would nevah, nevah kill an innocent animal on purpose.  :rolleyes:

Clearly, these people have minds that are somehow not screwed in properly, wherein cruelty isn't cruelty if they don't see it or acknowledge the animal they eat has  lived and died a horrible life and death, but people who take responsibility for their food are the criminals.  In the psychological world that's called "projecting". 

Yep. She just loves factory farmed meat.

My father-in-law says that I'm too cheap to buy 'real' meat. 

My brother calls them my "$1 chickens"...says you get what you pay for.... but his kids prefer my chicken over the stuff they get at home any day of the week and twice on Sunday.   They are always begging to let them take home some of my canned chicken.  

It's called flavor, Bub, something that has been absent from store chicken for years upon years.  ;)

Hilarious...show him your feed bills!

I feel for you all. We haven't gotten this ... Yet. But I'm sure we will. Sadly we have not yet been able to try any of our own birds BC we have been dealing with predators and the darned things took every bird that we planned to eat and many that we didn't as well. That being said we have 14+(probably more than 20+ with the latest hatches) up and coming cockerals destined for freezer camp after deciding what ones will be spared for breeding to replace the roos the predators took.

For those that don't know we've lost 16+ birds to predators since mid May. Including some of my personal pet birds, our breeders, and some grow outs. Ugh. To say the least.

We are nearing the appropriate age I believe to process cockerals. But since I'm here when do all of you process?

Last year beginning with poultry for the first time since we were both children DH2B and I discussed and planned together. I was worried at first having a caring gentle heart about the idea of eating birds we'd raised but knowing the horrors of the industry and having an aggressive roo and then having two cockerals fighting over hens and trying to clean them up(they were both silkie cockerals and one got rehomed instead of eaten) I discovered that giving them the chance at a good life and a natural life where they can feel the sun and chase bugs and gophers is worth it. I respect what they're going to give us and I've given them my world to make it as quick, fearless, and painless as possible in the end. Simply because the deserve that.

DK I think I'll do the deed this first time around, no probably not, and in fact DH2B, will probably try to get me to go in the house to spare me that part. I admit I might do that and I'll be grateful. I may cry, I'm a sap, I know that. I've hatched and raised these birds they trust me and they know me as a friend. Will it be hard, yes, I know that, but I also know that it would be infinitely harder to watch them suffer from injuries due to fighting or illness from overcrowding. We've discussed doing some Cornish x from what I've read I now think I would find it much more distasteful. Knowing they probably suffered under the crushing weight and knowing that our heritage breed cockerals are all still out on grass during the day at 6 weeks.

I would much rather know where my food comes from and I completely agree. If for even a second someone tries to tell you you're cheap or a murderer for doing this I think I would look them squarely in the face and say "You can call me a murderer if you like but at least my food wasn't tortured first."

My birds are happy and healthy they run free most days and will every day again as soon as the predators have been dealt with(coyote and fox have both been seen). They chase moths and bugs and pull up worms, they dust bathe and sunbathe, and scratch in the dirt and the compost, they're living chicken-y lives and I know theyre happier for that. They're also healthier for it.

They get kitchen scraps and earlier this year when the black raspberries produced fruit they picked among the bushes. They catch toads too, which frankly is a little icky but fun to watch their chase games.

It's partly because I care about them that I am able to say that some of them need to be culled. Yes they'll feed us but only after they've lived a good and fair life.

Well said and I admire your fortitude in the face of not having the mind and heart for the job. It's natural for a woman to be soft in that area, it's how God designed us, but knowing that and putting it aside to do the best for your chickens is just good stewardship.

You might be interested in reading this thread when contemplating CX: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-your-cornish-x-meaties-tractors-do-not-count

And also watching this vid....keeping CX doesn't have to be a bad prospect with too heavy birds and health issues. I've raised two batches of meaties out on free range and never had health issues with them and they were all VERY mobile right up to day of butcher, even those held over to 11 wks.

0.jpg

And this one when they were a little older....

0.jpg

I helped a lady process her group of meaties at 15 wks and they were HUGE...not a one under 8 lbs dressed out..and all still free ranging every day. You might just be surprised at how well you like the CX birds...they are friendly, moochy and great foragers.

This doesn't fall into "dumbest thing people said about chicken" category but sort of cute.

My wife and I with 2 toddlers were on a vacation in a tropical island. The first morning we were having coffee @530 am cause of jet lag when our 3 year old girl darted out of bedroom and yelled out "Dad, shoot that cockadoodle doo bird, it keep on making noises and it woke me up"We were stunned and burst out laughing together with the resort staffs that was serving us. What makes it funny was I don't own a gun and my wife is a pacifist, we had no idea where our little girl got her idea to shoot a rooster
1f633.png
1f606.png

This doesn't fall into "dumbest thing people said about chicken" category but sort of cute.

My wife and I with 2 toddlers were on a vacation in a tropical island. The first morning we were having coffee @530 am cause of jet lag when our 3 year old girl darted out of bedroom and yelled out "Dad, shoot that cockadoodle doo bird, it keep on making noises and it woke me up"We were stunned and burst out laughing together with the resort staffs that was serving us. What makes it funny was I don't own a gun and my wife is a pacifist, we had no idea where our little girl got her idea to shoot a rooster
1f633.png
1f606.png

That's cute.

Back
Top Bottom