Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Somebody told me the other day that $4.00/dozen is too expensive to pay for something not labeled correctly. Here is how I label my eggs: Soy free, non GMO, pasture raised eggs from happy chickens. He was like ''They are probably so old I will get Salmonella from eating them and I betcha a million bucks that everything on that carton is bull s$$*'' I told him he was wrong, and he was welcome to come to my house and see for himself what they are fed and the environment they lived in. He got ****** off, bought 2 dozen and stomped off. People.......

LOL

I had a neighbor who always thought our eggs were too expensive because we "got them for free."
Nope. My girls are just paying their rent with eggs.

This neighbor also saw one of our other neighbors free range Leghorn hens, and told us our roosters had gotten out. I had to laugh at that one, although I kind of understand it. Leghorns have large red combs.

She never bought a dozen, but occasionally they'd need an egg and we'd give them one. We usually have and overflow of eggs, so we were glad to get rid of a couple. Chickens are so addicting. I'd get rid of a couple of hens to lessen the overflow, but I love them all too much.

My mom for some reason bought some store eggs last week and my dad refuses to eat them, understandable considering how good ours are lol, and no amount of "come on the stop eating those for a while" will convince him (its only a dozen) so i guess the dog will be getting some, which i admittedly hadn't thought of, but ANYWAY

He then said "I don't like white eggs anyway"

We've always bought brown eggs but they are the exact same thing..... and he eats the green ones????

Last edited:
Somebody told me the other day that $4.00/dozen is too expensive to pay for something not labeled correctly. Here is how I label my eggs: Soy free, non GMO, pasture raised eggs from happy chickens. He was like ''They are probably so old I will get Salmonella from eating them and I betcha a million bucks that everything on that carton is bull s$$*'' I told him he was wrong, and he was welcome to come to my house and see for himself what they are fed and the environment they lived in. He got ****** off, bought 2 dozen and stomped off. People.......
If he comes back to buy more, tell him that the price doubles with "attitude".

Even through the Avian Influenza crisis, I was able to keep my eggs at $2. (I've accepted that my chickens are just pets that pay rent occasionally, also I get free old hog and mouse feed(lab grade) to add in as a treat and extra protein.) I had a neighbor come over to see my birds (I wasn't too concerned about quarantine, as I have the only chickens for about 6 miles), and they asked about bird flu. I ran through the usual symptoms prevention and all, but the question they asked next nearly killed me. "Can't they (your chickens) spread bird flu between themselves?" I asked what he meant and he literally was asking if my healthy chickens would somehow pass bird flu to each other, even though none of them had it. I assured him no, but he refused to buy "Infected Eggs" and I have a feeling he shared his concerns with others, because half of my customers stopped buying soon after..... Some people (although I do note that non-livestock keepers have a right to some legit questions, but I doubt he thought that through.

On another note, I was showing 9 of my birds at the county fair, and a mom and her 2 kids came up and asked if I could help them with their chickens. I said yes and went to see what the problem was. 3 bantam sized California Whites that obviously were starving. I asked what they were fed (If they fed chick starter until at least week 11) and they said "Oh, no! We feed ours a custom diet that we made up! They don't get corn, peanut, soy, wheat, or barley products. We mix it ourselves." I had to stop myself from asking what they DID feed them and they asked what to add to their feed. Since they obviously needed protein I asked if they scrambled eggs for them. "Well of course! They hardly ever lay any, though." Thankfully another person came over and backed me up on the fact that their birds were starved. They ended up with a red ribbon. They also hadn't checked on dietary needs of chickens before making their "custom diet".
Sorry if a little bit of that got to be a rant. It just drove me nuts!

Even through the Avian Influenza crisis, I was able to keep my eggs at $2. (I've accepted that my chickens are just pets that pay rent occasionally, also I get free old hog and mouse feed(lab grade) to add in as a treat and extra protein.) I had a neighbor come over to see my birds (I wasn't too concerned about quarantine, as I have the only chickens for about 6 miles), and they asked about bird flu. I ran through the usual symptoms prevention and all, but the question they asked next nearly killed me. "Can't they (your chickens) spread bird flu between themselves?" I asked what he meant and he literally was asking if my healthy chickens would somehow pass bird flu to each other, even though none of them had it. I assured him no, but he refused to buy "Infected Eggs" and I have a feeling he shared his concerns with others, because half of my customers stopped buying soon after..... Some people (although I do note that non-livestock keepers have a right to some legit questions, but I doubt he thought that through.

On another note, I was showing 9 of my birds at the county fair, and a mom and her 2 kids came up and asked if I could help them with their chickens. I said yes and went to see what the problem was. 3 bantam sized California Whites that obviously were starving. I asked what they were fed (If they fed chick starter until at least week 11) and they said "Oh, no! We feed ours a custom diet that we made up! They don't get corn, peanut, soy, wheat, or barley products. We mix it ourselves." I had to stop myself from asking what they DID feed them and they asked what to add to their feed. Since they obviously needed protein I asked if they scrambled eggs for them. "Well of course! They hardly ever lay any, though." Thankfully another person came over and backed me up on the fact that their birds were starved. They ended up with a red ribbon. They also hadn't checked on dietary needs of chickens before making their "custom diet".
Sorry if a little bit of that got to be a rant. It just drove me nuts!

That's very odd. How can one randomly just decide what to feed to their birds without knowing about what they need?

That's very odd. How can one randomly just decide what to feed to their birds without knowing about what they need?

They probably saw recipes online and decided thy could combine several, take out the stuff they didn't want the chickens to eat and toss in a few things they thought would make up for it.

I think that happens a lot, actually, even with dogs and cats and other animals. People will think they can come up with something better than those "processed" feeds and basically pull crap out of their butts about what they think the animal should eat. Lack of understanding of the nutritional needs of animals is apparent all around, as proven by the continued success of "Beneful" dog food and vegetarian chicken feeds, for example.

Just like the 'my meat birds are 5 months old and only weigh about a pound, what am I doing wrong' threads. Um...you might want to start by giving them a nutritionally balanced diet.
Seriously people, it's not that hard to figure out.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom