Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

It drives me crazy, the whole vegan/vegetarian thing because if we were not meant to eat meat, then why on earth do people in the bible eat it so much?? If all my meat came from the grocery store, I would be vegan because of the life those poor things had, but I raise my own meat in the best possible living conditions I can and do not feel too bad eating it after it had such a great life.

Yeah, I feel like I'm a little bit of an oddball that way and it stinks for me because unlike most people who eat grocery store meat and simply don't know or don't care enough, I've done some research, though not that much, and know how terrible the conditions are. But at the same time, I've been eating terribly the last year or two and I'm trying to eat healthier now, vegetables and fruits and such, but also actually making stuff instead of buying sandwiches and snacks or whatever, so I'm going to be buying more meat and those poor animals living like that :/ but it is definitely cheap and i guess for a reason. I may seriously have to look into buying more humanely raised stuff and/or a local farmer because you're right, the conditions are horrible and I don't want to support them. And yeah, theoretically I know it had a good or great life and love that people raise their own, I just personally don't know if I'd be able to. I'd get too attached aha but maybe one day I can because one day I want to move to a more country area. We're kind of in town now even though we're on almost 3 acres and central to everything/close neighbors so we can't raise anything anyway. But one day I will and I'll just have to have a BF do it or something or get over it. We do have chickens though but not meat ones. Though a few might be or will find themselves a new home if they don't stop relentlessly bullying my EE.

Yeah, I feel like I'm a little bit of an oddball that way and it stinks for me because unlike most people who eat grocery store meat and simply don't know or don't care enough, I've done some research, though not that much, and know how terrible the conditions are. But at the same time, I've been eating terribly the last year or two and I'm trying to eat healthier now, vegetables and fruits and such, but also actually making stuff instead of buying sandwiches and snacks or whatever, so I'm going to be buying more meat and those poor animals living like that :/ but it is definitely cheap and i guess for a reason. I may seriously have to look into buying more humanely raised stuff and/or a local farmer because you're right, the conditions are horrible and I don't want to support them. And yeah, theoretically I know it had a good or great life and love that people raise their own, I just personally don't know if I'd be able to. I'd get too attached aha but maybe one day I can because one day I want to move to a more country area. We're kind of in town now even though we're on almost 3 acres and central to everything/close neighbors so we can't raise anything anyway. But one day I will and I'll just have to have a BF do it or something or get over it. We do have chickens though but not meat ones. Though a few might be or will find themselves a new home if they don't stop relentlessly bullying my EE.
Well, whether you continue buying grocery store meat or not, at least you know the conditions they are in. This is a blog post my friend wrote, and it is so true.

https://homeschoolcooking13.wordpress.com/2015/08/22/factory-meat-abuse-1/

Yeah, it's more than most people i suppose and yeah, it's sad :( not even just the actual slaughterhouse though, the living conditions are also usually pretty horrible
Yeah, I told her she should write a part 2 about how they live, but she is a huge procrastinator. So that might come out in 2018 knowing her. lol

The only dog food I know that doesn't have potatoes is Zignature and Nutrisca but I'm sure there are others. Zignature uses peas. They also have no chicken, grain, or like any other major allergen. I was feeding it for a while and they have 7 flavors so nice variety but it's a little bit expensive so we're trying so we're trying small bags of some other foods atm. But that's one of our favorites. But if he likes NutriSource (one of the ones we are trying) we might switch to that since they it's made by the same people. They make the food for Zignature and Nutrisca respective companies and NutriSource is one of their own brands but yeah. It's cheaper so yeah. We used to switch between a lot of other brands but we liked Zignature the best and most of the other brands have also shrunken bag size and increased price. We might buy Horizon Pulsar again and try this other one I found on Chewy.com with huge bags and cheap prices aha i cant for the life of me remember the name of it now though but yeah. Point being we're trying to integrate some of the cheaper grain free brands and even good quality non grain free ones because he has no allergies, i just wanted him on a better food. Although they're finding how bad grains are or can be for people maybe I'll at least keep him on grain free or with sweet potatoes but ya

Okay, I remembered the other brand, it's Hi-Tek Naturals. Anyway, we're gonna try NutriSource for a while but might try that next.

That's awful :(

I forgot veal was cow for a second, thought it was deer till i remembered that's venison lol

But lamb especially makes me sad, they're so cute. :(

Also why is veal so popular? I forgot that it was a thing honestly. But what is so different about veal than regular beef, you know, from an adult cow? Lamb I get that people don't really eat adult sheep. Do they?

Also one time my uncle's neighbor raised a pig and brought it over for Christmas when it was ready and supposedly it was the best ham they'd ever had. Well, when they first got it they showed pics of it and bad named him Kevin Bacon. He was the cutest little black and white fella. Well, I couldn't eat him because I thought of him as Kevin Bacon the cute baby and not ham. After dinner (they kinda have a casual/buffet thing, lots of different food and i think other meat, so it wasn't rude or anything I didn't eat him) i snuck back out there and took off a teeny little piece to try and i spat it back out. Sounds stupid but ya.

But my point of bringing that up was that that incident with the pig and the issues above with baby animals are the only times that I can understand why people are vegetarians or vegans. That I feel like I feel how they feel when people eat any meat. It's just for me it's limited to baby animals or ones I see pics of. And I don't think I would be able to raise my own meat as much I kinda wanna try someday. It sounds stupid because the animals they sell at the grocery store have HORRIBLE lives and I should have feeling about that but it's just picking up some chicken breast or whatever, it's meat not an animal, and idk, there's something to be said for that distance and animosity. Now don't get me wrong, I don't ACTUALLY think it's "not an animal" or "just meat" or support factory farms in any way, I know that the one thing we can all agree on is most live horrendous lives. But it's just when I see a cute little animal, named or not, I can't eat it. That said, I may have to look into buying meat locally or find a more humanely raised section in the store (is that a gimmick or is it real?) Or something. It's definitely more expensive but maybe that way I could help out the animals, not support horrible factory farm conditions, but still have the distance and the animosity, not to raise it myself.

*Anonymity.
1f609.png

Anyway, c I get what you're saying, though in part it reminds me when someone's died and people say things like "it's such a shame; she was so beautiful" because apparently death is more tragic if they were good looking. Along the same lines we have problems eating animals if we find them "cute". We could probably get a lot of meat from dogs and cats since so many are killed every day anyway, and at least it would give meaning to their existence, but we won't (here in the US).

Http://www.amazon.com/Some-We-Love-Hate-Eat/dp/0061730858

I was pescatarian for a good long time but really missed other meats.I just sold my extra pullets and I'm still over run with males (10-12) extra next month I need to bite the bullet. They live a very good life and I've put a lot of money and time into raising them, so it makes the most sense to butcher them for our own use if they can't find homes as flock birds. The odds are, they will end up on someone's dinner plate, so it may as well be mine, and that is one less package of factory chicken bought.

Anyway... Any more stories?

It drives me crazy, the whole vegan/vegetarian thing because if we were not meant to eat meat, then why on earth do people in the bible eat it so much?? If all my meat came from the grocery store, I would be vegan because of the life those poor things had, but I raise my own meat in the best possible living conditions I can and do not feel too bad eating it after it had such a great life.
Prior to the flood, meat eating did not happen. Animal population on the ark was high enough to allow meat eating, and it was then that meat eating entered the diet. It's not that "those people in the Bible ate it so much" but that they were given dietary laws, so they were told what they could eat and how it was to be prepared. Much of the Levitical law pertaining to meat eating was designed to ensure the health of God's people. (many of the animals on the "do not eat" list were prone to parasites or other health risks.)

*Anonymity.
1f609.png

Anyway, c I get what you're saying, though in part it reminds me when someone's died and people say things like "it's such a shame; she was so beautiful" because apparently death is more tragic if they were good looking. Along the same lines we have problems eating animals if we find them "cute". We could probably get a lot of meat from dogs and cats since so many are killed every day anyway, and at least it would give meaning to their existence, but we won't (here in the US).

I was pescatarian for a good long time but really missed other meats.I just sold my extra pullets and I'm still over run with males (10-12) extra next month I need to bite the bullet. They live a very good life and I've put a lot of money and time into raising them, so it makes the most sense to butcher them for our own use if they can't find homes as flock birds. The odds are, they will end up on someone's dinner plate, so it may as well be mine, and that is one less package of factory chicken bought.

Amusing thought process, yes? People do come up with some interesting statements surrounding death. Once again, we are so far removed from natural processes. Viewing a deceased person in a casket, why do some folks insist on stating, "He looks so natural."? As if there is anything natural about the embalming process and the layers of make up that are applied to cover the exposed skin.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited:
*Anonymity.
1f609.png

Looked it up and you are so right! I have no clue why I thought it was that word, I guess cause it sounds like anonymous? Lol whoops. Thanks so much for correcting it!

Anyway, yeah that does make sense and you're right, we could get lots of meat. And I've heard that mentioned before and that depending on where you live, different animals are eaten. It seems the book mentions that too. Here we would never eat say dogs but we eat cows. In India cows are considered sacred and they don't eat them. Asian countries they consider dogs food. It's just interesting to me. Although that said, I'm still a huge baby and draw the line at dog, cat, and horse. Cute animals. lol and besides, even if I wanted to, I'm pretty sure it would probably be illegal these days, animal cruelty or some such thing.

That book lools interesting! Just bought it, and another one mentioned in a review, The Omnivore's Dilemma, and this one Fast Food Nation only because I needed a couple more buck to get free shipping. Anyway, I don't know if the others are as good as the one you mentioned but I think it will at least be interesting to read them and see.

Yeah, I don't think I could ever be a vegetarian or pescatarian or any of that, I don't know how vegans do it. I like meat but I also hate fish so that's just out of the question LOL

But yeah, I think it probably is best for you to eat them yourself and they've had a good life. But I understand it being difficult, I don't think I'd be able to do it.

Prior to the flood, meat eating did not happen.  Animal population on the ark was high enough to allow meat eating, and it was then that meat eating entered the diet.  It's not that "those people in the Bible ate it so much" but that they were given dietary laws, so they were told what they could eat and how it was to be prepared.  Much of the Levitical law pertaining to meat eating was designed to ensure the health of God's people.  (many of the animals on the "do not eat" list were prone to parasites or other health risks.)  

Amusing thought process, yes?  People do come up with some interesting statements surrounding death.  Once again, we are so far removed from natural processes.  Viewing a deceased person in a casket, why do some folks insist on stating, "He looks so natural."?  As if there is anything natural about the embalming process and the layers of make up that are applied to cover the exposed skin.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.  

Interesting stuff. Thanks. I admittedly don't know much or anything about it but i always thought the restrictions were just to restrict, didn't know there were health reasons and stuff

Ok I have been on this form for a long time but never had a story till now.
So yesterday I had my silver laced Cochin at a small show... nothing different than normal there was about 10 hens and 2 roos.
A middle age couple came over and looked at my hens feet and said...
"Oh my god what is wrong with her feet"
I was quite confused and asked what do you mean, her feathers?
"Yeah does she have a disorder?!"
Um yeah no, I couldn't believe she had no clue there was feather footed chickens. No less later that same day a young man came over and looked at the egg that was laying in the bottom of the cage (I didn't have time to grab it as I was cleaning up the supplies to leave)
The young man "Isn't the egg going to spoil just sitting there."
"No she just layed it about 30min ago."
"Oh?" "why is it so small all the eggs I get from the store are twice the size."
I then had to have the whole egg talk with a man that was probably around 30years old *face palm*

Back
Top Bottom