Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Our dog was never exposed to chickens, and when I first got them he got a hold of one and killed it. He was more curious than anything...but we were right there and caught him in the act. We scolded him like he's never been scolded before, he's such a tender hearted dog (he's a stray that ended up at our place, we found the owner and they gave him to us.
smile.png
) he never even gets close to the chickens now unless he's with us. He pretty excited about me gathering eggs though...because he usually gets an egg or two.
Topic moved on but my dog, who is 10 this year, only saw his first chicken last spring when I presented a chick for him to sniff. I didn't even let him get excited, any reaction other than casual sniffing got him scolded and he's been fine since day one. He's taken to following the flock around the yard and we joke that he's decided to be a chicken now.

One weird thing he does do, is he helps me herd them if they get out of the yard or I need to put them back into the run for whatever reason. He's not even a herding breed, he's a a shelter mutt special lab/husky mix! Just goes to show old dogs can definitely learn new tricks.

I did that with my dogs and got the same reaction but with my cats was funny to watch they sniffed a pullet I brought into the house and when it got scared it tried to fly away but what flew away was all the cats it looked like someone put a firecracker down I had cats flying everywhich way trying to get away and when I let the bird down they really freaked out and from 8 cats I cod not see a one. I have a cat outside that pays the chickens no mind but will go after a squirrel in a heartbeat. And one of the dogs will run toward the chickens to get them to scatter but when he comes to the rooster he runs away. So no problem here with other animals lol

I did that with my dogs and got the same reaction but with my cats was funny to watch they sniffed a pullet I brought into the house and when it got scared it tried to fly away but what flew away was all the cats it looked like someone put a firecracker down I had cats flying everywhich way trying to get away and when I let the bird down they really freaked out and from 8 cats I cod not see a one. I have a cat outside that pays the chickens no mind but will go after a squirrel in a heartbeat. And one of the dogs will run toward the chickens to get them to scatter but when he comes to the rooster he runs away. So no problem here with other animals lol

You have 8 house cats? Awesome!

We have 5 house cats.
One of our house cats has a major prey drive but is terrified of the adult birds we've brought in before. The others are kind of curious but not phased much.

Well that was last year now we have 3 additions there is an invisible sign out side saying stray animals welcome here! We have a pg moma cat with a older kitten come up and then a month later we find another kitten under the car all three have made a home here and we are expecting some more soon I'm hoping to find them homes before we get attached to them I'm already concidered the crazy cat man

Well that was last year now we have 3 additions there is an invisible sign out side saying stray animals welcome here! We have a pg moma cat with a older kitten come up and then a month later we find another kitten under the car all three have made a home here and we are expecting some more soon I'm hoping to find them homes before we get attached to them I'm already concidered the crazy cat man

Lol yeah but ya gotta love cats!

As a crazy cat lady I'm happy to meet a crazy cat man! Lol and a fellow cat rescuer. Thank you for all you do for the homeless kitties. :) We also seem to have a sign that says stray and unwanted animals come here. Lol not so much now but before yes a lot. We have the 5 cats 2 dogs(a Dane and a sheltie) and 70+ chickens(but many of those are spare cockerals that will be invited to dinner)

Lol yeah but ya gotta love cats!

As a crazy cat lady I'm happy to meet a crazy cat man! Lol and a fellow cat rescuer. Thank you for all you do for the homeless kitties. :) We also seem to have a sign that says stray and unwanted animals come here. Lol not so much now but before yes a lot. We have the 5 cats 2 dogs(a Dane and a sheltie) and 70+ chickens(but many of those are spare cockerals that will be invited to dinner)

I'm sitting here with 4 cats surrounding me and one on my side watching tv so now we have 11 cats 2 dogs and earlier this summer we had 80 birds I started with 80 birds so I can stuff my freezer with food easy to care for and the eggs are a plus not to think that chicken poo does a garden good too. I'm trying to get to the point that I can cut my cost of living in half

I'm sitting here with 4 cats surrounding me and one on my side watching tv so now we have 11 cats 2 dogs and earlier this summer we had 80 birds I started with 80 birds so I can stuff my freezer with food easy to care for and the eggs are a plus not to think that chicken poo does a garden good too. I'm trying to get to the point that I can cut my cost of living in half

Lol not with that many cats you can't Lol

What kind of litter do you like?

I use the tidycat clumping for two reasons one because it works good and second the buckets make great nest boxes! Also I use them to store feed ie cat food, dog food and chicken feed. So I don't have to go buy buckets to store stuff in

I use the tidycat clumping for two reasons one because it works good and second the buckets make great nest boxes! Also I use them to store feed ie cat food, dog food and chicken feed. So I don't have to go buy buckets to store stuff in

Rofl funny you said that we also use tidy cats clumping and our nest boxes and several feeders themselves as well as storage are all made from the containers. :D they're really nice containers. I'd love to see pics of your nest boxes :) to see if we made them the same

Don't have any pics but I cut an opening in the bottom for the chicken in some and that gave me a lid to open and pull eggs from the outside and have cut the lid off of a few for inside the coop and they work great too I use a piece of wood and a small piece of ply to slide into the slot and screw it down that locks them together and stabilizes them. My girls love it and they are so easy to clean

Back
Top Bottom