Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

so today i mentioned to a relative that we got chicks, and they are 3 weeks old. they will eventually lay eggs for us and we have white and brown egg layers, and EEs*. this relative is 79 years old and a big city girl. So they told me "I guess I'll have to bring my own eggs when I visit"......Uh, why? I ask. They relative didn't have any real reason other than the fact that they have always had store-bought eggs and at nearly 80 years old that is what they are used to. Yes, this relative understands that store eggs and backyard eggs are all produced the same (and they come out of a chicken's butt), it was merely the IDEA that eggs our chickens will eventually produce are NOT store-bought. No current plans for the relative to visit, so who knows if their opinion will ever be tested!

*They said, laughingly, that Easter Eggers must only produce eggs on Easter..... I'm pretty sure they were not serious.....but they didn't seem very interested when I indicated that an EE usually will lay blue, pink, or green eggs (although only one color per bird, of course). :barnie

so today i mentioned to a relative that we got chicks, and they are 3 weeks old. they will eventually lay eggs for us and we have white and brown egg layers, and EEs*. this relative is 79 years old and a big city girl. So they told me "I guess I'll have to bring my own eggs when I visit"......Uh, why? I ask. They relative didn't have any real reason other than the fact that they have always had store-bought eggs and at nearly 80 years old that is what they are used to. Yes, this relative understands that store eggs and backyard eggs are all produced the same (and they come out of a chicken's butt), it was merely the IDEA that eggs our chickens will eventually produce are NOT store-bought. No current plans for the relative to visit, so who knows if their opinion will ever be tested!

*They said, laughingly, that Easter Eggers must only produce eggs on Easter..... I'm pretty sure they were not serious.....but they didn't seem very interested when I indicated that an EE usually will lay blue, pink, or green eggs (although only one color per bird, of course). :barnie

I have family that grew up on a farm with chickens and they all had not heard of EE and thought there was something wrong with one that gave one family member 1 they did not want that was given to them for Easter because the eggs where not white or brown. BTW this side of my family I am sure there is something wrong with all of them mentally because this is one of the least stupid ideas they ever had.....

Not funny, but, back around 1965 Grandma picked up some "araucana" chicks at the feed store along with her yearly batch of chicks. She got 4 of them. They were expensive so she really splurged for the advertised blue eggs since they were poor farmers.

Mom said those 4 hens were kept as pets. The only chickens that didn't ever end up eaten. They died from old age. They didn't look like the "ameraucana" that are sold now. No beards. No tufts or rumplessness either. But Mom said they laid very nice blue eggs.

Mom prefers the blue eggs when I bring her eggs. Not green like my EEs. She wants the ameraucana ones the most

Not exactly dumb. I was being a smart aleck today. My husband gave me "the look" for the original post. My cousin just lost it.

20180325_201412.png

When my rooster was a chick, folks said "look at that pullet, she is going to lay lots of very large eggs". I would not comment, then at 3.5 months he started crowing,,,,
Ok they were looking at his build, his legs are wider apart than any of my hens, but to me his head said rooster.

Got to talking to one of my regular clients yesterday and it kinda came up about how I took care of the unexpected rooster I got this spring. He was delicious. He asked if I had any problems eating him at all and I kinda told him that there's a reason why I don't name my birds. Then he got to telling me a story about his's wife's grandmother. She lived on a Haitian Plantation back in the 1930's or so, and they had a rooster that the kids had adopted because he was crippled and somewhat deformed, and so they named him Cecil and was basically their pet. Anyways, some big mucky-muck is dropping in at the last minute for an unexpected visit and expects dinner and the mother there tells a servant to go out and catch the first chicken that they can get their hands on so it can be the guest of honor at the table for dinner. And Cecil was that chicken. And when the chicken comes out the kids are still able to recognize that it was Cecil and start crying immediately because he was a pet. And nobody there really had the heart to tear into some chicken when they had some sobbing kids there, which just made the kids mother all the more mad because they then ruined dinner.

Well, it’s been about 3 years, but I’ve finally got a new one:

My Floridiot neighbor just had her daughter, Vonda, visiting. Vonda remarked that she didn’t see any chickens in my yard. But, she did see a big duck. Jan told her I didn’t have any ducks, but wouldn’t be surprised if I ended up bringing some home. I said, "It could’ve been one of my light Brahamas. They’re white, and with the feathers on their feet, they do look webbed, plus they’re huge. They look more like ostriches than chickens." She asked me to point them out and said, "Yup. I can see her thinking that was a duck."

upload_2018-11-8_19-12-13.jpeg

one guy in my neighborhood told me "that guys (3 doors away from him) rooster doesn't know when morning in he crows all day!!! I said well (about 430 or 5pm) well I hear birds singing now. Well that's different birds sing all day but this is a rooster!!!!! I almost asked what type of animal is a chicken is it a kind of dog or cow or something....

Roosters/chickens are some sort of mammal, aren’t they? I mean, I’ve heard on this thread that people say they feed their babies milk, so they must be mammals. And, the colored stuff covering their bodies is fur. Birds have feathers.

Hey, Oldrooster! How ya been?

Back
Top Bottom