Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

OMG!! I love it 😂😂😂😂 The other day, at a corner store, I watched this cashier get into a heated argument with a patron over face masks. You see, Texas has mandated that businesses require face masks, so each store has a sign. Some stores truly enforce it and others don’t. Well this lady was screaming at a man for not wearing a mask. “YOU PUTTING MY KIDS IN DANGER RIGHT NOW!!!! I’M NOT SELLING YOU SH*T UNTIL YOU GO FIND A MASK!!” Meanwhile, her mask was only covering her mouth.... I literally had NO WORDS 😶

Ahhh. An encounter with a Blue Footed Covidiot. Unfortunately, it’s not a rare sighting. I love your user name, btw. I have one of those large metal rooster sculptures next to my coop. I named him Gregory Peck.

I just got a new one, and I was shocked to hear it from my husband.
When we first got our first set of chicks, I did a ton of research, which is how I found BYC. Ive told my husband a lot of what I've learned over the years...

So fast forward to the other night. He tells me that he's not looking forward to having to kill the chickens. I'm like WHAT?! Why would you have to kill the chickens?! (we have layers and haven't had meat birds at all). He said his grandfather had the regular white chickens that lay white eggs, and after two years they'd stop laying and they'd have to kill them and eat them. And that the food we're feeding them makes them lay more at a faster rate and that they'll burn out sooner.
So, I ask... What did your grandfather feed his chickens? He said corn sometimes, but otherwise whatever they found out in the fields. That because we feed ours food, instead of making them hunt for their food, we're making them lay more. That he'll have to kill them when their two.

OooooKay. Those first chicks we got was over 2 years ago, and I feed my chickens all flock... sooooo Nope, nothing that's gonna turn them into egg machines. Of course, sounds like Grandpa had leghorns, which pretty much are egg machines...

Oh, and ETA..> I should add that Grandpa had tons of acreage down in Texas. If he wanted to, he could let his chickens free roam wide enough to probably find most of their own food, but that they should have had feed offered too. My chickens live on an acre and are locked in their run most of the day when we're not home.

I got 4 leghorns in my flock of 40+ and they are approaching 5 yrs old, and still spitting me out an egg a day to every other day.

I can't decide if it is the stupidity of the employees, or the gullibleness of the majority of the customers talking to the stupid employees at my local TSC....... But, I refuse to go past the register when I go pick up my feed. The sales associates go get the grain and bring it out to my car. When chick days are over, I will go back to normal shopping......

I had a Nigerian dwarf goat named Sonny. He was the cutest, sweetest baby. The team member at TSC brought me my “goat feed” to my trunk curbside and I went home. As soon as I got home I could hear sonny outside yelling “DAAAAAD!” My husband usually fed him because Sonny and his Daaaad has a special bond. I STUPIDLY ripped the bag open and filled Sonny’s large bowl with pellets and went on about my day. Only after he started vomiting green slime later that day did I realize I had a problem.. When I went to the barn, and grabbed the bag of feed, I realized I had CHICKEN FEED!!!!!!! For those of you who don’t know, a large amount of corn can cause serious health issues for a Goat. Chicken feed is high in corn. Needless to say, after a visit from the vet, Sonny didn’t make it through the weekend.. his little stomach couldn’t take the corn.. I should’ve checked that bag!!!! And I couldn’t help but be LIVID at that TSC employee who was too busy texting and snap chatting to grab the feed I paid for and ASKED FOR!!! I haven’t shopped there since. I drive 15mins out of my way to get to Atwood’s!

I got 4 leghorns in my flock of 40+ and they are approaching 5 yrs old, and still spitting me out an egg a day to every other day.

I have an EE that’s either 3 or 4, I can’t remember. She was giving me about 5 eggs a week until about a month ago, when she just stopped. I think she’s run out of eggs. But, she’s survived several attacks on my flocks, and has become a family member. So, I’m going to let her live out her golden years right here with me. She deserves it after the contributions she’s made.

I like it best when I catch them young. I give the little kids the bantam eggs and tell them they were laid just for them, in kids' size. And, they love the colored ones! Kids are far more open minded than adults.

Super sweet! I know as a little girl, I would’ve been sooooo excited for a blue or green egg! My grandpa had a farm and his chickens were amazing to me! He no longer had them around the time I turned 12 or so because it was too difficult for him to take care of his animals due to old war injuries. But I always thought my tastebuds had changed and I no longer liked eggs after that... turns out, I just don’t like store bought eggs 😂

Back
Top Bottom