Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a co-worker tell me she'd like to have a few chickens for her yard, but she couldn't stand having to kill them. I told her she didn't have to kill them and that mine are for eggs and family pets. Same lady said brown eggs are healthier since they aren't bleached like the white ones.

Hahaha!
yuckyuck.gif

The most common questions I get .....
Well how does the chicken lay the egg without a Rooster?
Sense you have a rooster are you eating baby chicks in your eggs? hahahha and they always have this puzzled look on their face!!
Well can you eat the eggs, I mean, they are not the same as the grocery store...how gross!

And this question is unrelated to chickens but very funny. I had squash on the kitchen counter in a bowl and my sister in law was over visiting and said "Now are those just for decoration or do you actually eat those?" hahahahahaha I was like whaaattt ! lol ya it's called a vegetable and they are very good for you.
And I'll take eggs from my backyard laid by birds I know and love that are all natural as close to organic as you can get anyday , over store bought eggs. It baffles me how clueless people have become when it comes to knowing where their food source comes from. We butchered 2 roosters from our flock last year because they were very aggressive were attacking me and my 2 year old daughter at the time. So naturally we ate them , and some of the comments I got were so ridiculous. haha

Last edited:
My latest crazy thing said to me was by a co-worker. I brought in chicken (BBQ from the weekend) to eat for lunch. She asked if it was one of the birds we raised and I told her "Yep we raise meat birds for our family to eat" She responded with "Is it USDA citified because if not you shouldn't be eating it!"

Quote: lol I was down to the fuzz and said screw it. I washed him then put him in the freezer like that *hides* But we don't eat skin, so like out chickens with the occasional feather stubs I just wash good then cook and pull the skin off before serving. I might just skin the next one.. but when I did 20 birds I wasn't about to take the time to skin.. I haven't mastered skinning yet :p

Try dipping them in duck wax.. it will peel right off taking the fuzz with it

i skin too, takes me about 5-7 minutes per chicken - i have trouble with the lungs. when i skin i do cut the wing tips off, and no one in my family wants to eat the giblets, so i dont save them. i rinse them and put them in salted ice that has started to melt. when they start to freeze, we bag them and put them in the freezer. we usually do them in groups of about 20, when the last chicken is going in the ice, the first is starting to freeze.

for the lungs.. if you're having problems.. invest in a long handle "ice tea spoon"... and use it to reach in and scrape them out.. I just use my fingers.. but my aunt swears by the ice tea spoon for lung removal...

I had squash on the kitchen counter in a bowl and my sister in law was over visiting and said "Now are those just for decoration or do you actually eat those?" hahahahahaha I was like whaaattt ! lol

I've had something similar. I keep many of the cooking tools I use daily (wooden spoons, whisks, spatulas, etc.) in a crock next to the stove for easy access. Someone once saw them and said, "Oh! I it looks like you actually use *your* tools and they're not just in the crock for decoration". Ummmm. Yup! That would be correct.

Last edited:
What an amusing thread! Its scary to think how dumb and/or ignorant people can be!

It sounds like needing a rooster to get the eggs is a common assumption. I got asked that yesterday followed by "is it like a period or something?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom