Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
"How many chickens do you have?"
"Over 40 now."
"Wow, so you're a hoarder."
"No, I'm a farmer."
^I have this conversation far more than I ought to.

I can't read all of these pages. I tried but 7 pages in and I had reached my max limit of stupid for one week. I don't understand how it is possible to be that plain dumb.
he.gif

My biggest issue is with people who manage to think the store chicken is more humane and safe. Yup..... I would totally rather eat a hen kept tighter than sardines in misery and filth that as of very recently was slaughter and shipped to CHINA to be processed. You know, where the food safety standards don't really exist. MMMM.........

"You get Food Stamps and you qualify for Food commodity boxes so why when you can get that free are you wasting time and money on chickens and gardening? With your disabilities that is something you have no business doing!!! Why not just buy the food instead of seeds and grains to plant or feed animals?"

Yep they don't get it. Organic naturally raised food BY ME means I know what I am eating! And the chickens don't care if I come out to get eggs in my PJ or am dressed! I have instant compost activator for the garden compost and they get some of the produce. The natural cycle.... I just get to pull out of that cycle what I want to eat!

"How many chickens do you have?"
"Over 40 now."
"Wow, so you're a hoarder."
"No, I'm a farmer."
^I have this conversation far more than I ought to.
I had 50 chickens and 4 ducks I would hear..

"Oh that's way too many."

"Well we eat them, and it take a while for them to get big enough to be eaten or lay eggs, plus we need to keep hatching to have a steady supply. And I sell some." So I butchered 20 this summer. Mind you I have roosters to sell as well.

They give me this look of 'you are nuts'. "Its just too many. Well how long will 20 chickens last you?"

"Gonna have to last several months."

"Well that's not very much chicken... you gotta eat more than that."

And you just said I had too much...........

Mind you I have 5 mouths to feed.

So I also brought some extra eggs to work...I have free range americauna and speckled sussex hens. My eggs are a variety of pink, blue, green and brown - solid colors although some a speckled. AND I have adult roosters so I would assume they are fertilized.

First the other staff wanted to know why they were different colors...and they were skeptical since the hens are free range "ya never really know what they are eating and if it can be harmful to humans"...then they refused to take them because they were fertilized.

Whatever - I pick my eggs everyday so I a d sure no baby chick is going to hop out at me... I'm keeping my eggs to myself unless someone asks. WOW.

So I also brought some extra eggs to work...I have free range americauna and speckled sussex hens. My eggs are a variety of pink, blue, green and brown - solid colors although some a speckled. AND I have adult roosters so I would assume they are fertilized.

First the other staff wanted to know why they were different colors...and they were skeptical since the hens are free range "ya never really know what they are eating and if it can be harmful to humans"...then they refused to take them because they were fertilized.

Whatever - I pick my eggs everyday so I a d sure no baby chick is going to hop out at me... I'm keeping my eggs to myself unless someone asks. WOW.

Yeah people have these weird ideas.. yeah on occasion one finds a chick.. but if you gather them readily then its ot an issue.. I seriously thing if one makes an information page.. like a myth buster type deal for epople to read.. then they might be convinces.. you can also include the issue of store bought egg quality vs the other. and that myth of what the chickens eat.... probably never crossed their min that thy could swallow less useless multivitamins if they ate your eggs....

The whole issue of them being fertilized eggs is what crossed the line for me. These people are not vegan and we discuss cooking regularly. They will rave about the awesome chicken dish they cooked the night before. I was told its a moral issue - what? Adult animals are ok to eat? How about the morality of how animals are treated to provide all the grocery stores with meat? I am not vegan - I love meat - and give thanks to the animals who provide it. (maybe thats why my chickens are so extremely spoiled). Most people are so out of touch with where their food comes from.

The whole issue of them being fertilized eggs is what crossed the line for me. These people are not vegan and we discuss cooking regularly. They will rave about the awesome chicken dish they cooked the night before. I was told its a moral issue - what? Adult animals are ok to eat? How about the morality of how animals are treated to provide all the grocery stores with meat? I am not vegan - I love meat - and give thanks to the animals who provide it. (maybe thats why my chickens are so extremely spoiled). Most people are so out of touch with where their food comes from.

Exactly.. so next time they bring up a morality issue... ask them if they eat chicken.... then next ask them if they would spay or neuter their pets? Nest if you dog got pregnant would you spay her while she has pups? Most people will. Me I worked for a vet for a while and the poor dogs they were literally depressed after that. But regardless.. people come up with this stuff out of nowhere without thinking of the other things that they do or might do.

I agree me too. You love them take care of them and they feed you. It is a cycle.. I agree... and not just that but quality. They will eat food with poison on it as long as it looks perfect.. but wont eat an apple because there's a tiny hole in it form a worm.. yeah cut around it. *facepalm* Give me organic thanks. Food id food. if a fly lands on you oatmeal then don't throw the whole bowl out scoop out that bit.. sheesh. People don't realize when they turn their backs that flies have most likely touched it. They land on all surfaces and you touch it without thinking about it.. not to mention babies eat poop and survive LOL boy when my sin grows up do I have stories to hold over his head he he

lol.. do they realize that their lovely chicken that they bought from the grocery store for dinner is, at most, 8 weeks old?... hardly an adult at that age..
gig.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom