Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend also has chickens and people keep giving her hens when they decide they don't want them anymore. Recently someone gave her an Easter Egger and she lays cute little mint green eggs. Her husband won't eat them. He claims that his grandparents raised eggs for grocery stores and had thousands of chickens and when he was a kid, they told him that if a hen laid an egg that was green, it was poisonous and to throw it away.  
He understands that the Easter Eggers eggs aren't poisonous, but says he can't get past the color. 

I think his grandparents were pulling his leg, because even if the hen was sick, her eggs wouldn't change color. 

Yeah because they wanted petty green eggs for themselves.

Perhaps we need to look at the chicken gene pool and find the one hen (ahem) in a million?

OTOH, if the rooster's genes determine the sex of the offspring, we need to find that rooster who only produces pullets! He's worth a fortune.

Laughing all the way to the hen house!
It is the Hen. Different from Humans.

Yep, it's the hen that determines the sex of the offspring. Also I've heard that feeding fermented feed raises the percentage of pullets.

If you dance around the next on a full moon with chicken feathers from the mother hen in your hair you only get hens....

When my oldest was little, and she wanted snow, I told her to put a spoon under her pillow and there would be snow in the morning. She did that for years. Funny thing was, we usually got snow.

If you dance around the next on a full moon with chicken feathers from the mother hen in your hair you only get hens....

When my oldest was little, and she wanted snow, I told her to put a spoon under her pillow and there would be snow in the morning. She did that for years. Funny thing was, we usually got snow.
lau.gif
I understand your point!

There needs to be a study to see if thee is a real difference with Fermented feed. It is anecdotal at this point about changing gender.

lau.gif
I understand your point!

There needs to be a study to see if thee is a real difference with Fermented feed. It is anecdotal at this point about changing gender.
big_smile.png

I've heard that a slight change in temperature can change the sex too. Seems like if that's the case, when a hen sets her eggs, you would get all of one sex instead of the other.

Not sure about fermented feed, but you'd probably have really happy hens.

big_smile.png

I've heard that a slight change in temperature can change the sex too. Seems like if that's the case, when a hen sets her eggs, you would get all of one sex instead of the other.

Not sure about fermented feed, but you'd probably have really happy hens.
The temperature is a confusion between chickens and some reptiles. The only way heat works with chickens is if the temperatures were off enough to kill only the males.

Rather macabre however.

Last edited:
I read something dumb that someone said about their own chickens. They were selling ee's as "ameraucanas" and they said the blue/green eggs were lower in cholesterol than the brown and white eggs
idunno.gif

I read something dumb that someone said about their own chickens. They were selling ee's as "ameraucanas" and they said the blue/green eggs were lower in cholesterol than the brown and white eggs
idunno.gif

That statement is not as dumb as you think. There have been studies that purport to show the blue/green eggs are lower in cholesterol that white and brown eggs. Other studies have not supported this claim. You spends your money and you takes your choice. However the ee egg seller was telling people what he believed to be correct information because it was based on a scientific study.

Quote: I haven't read anything of the like anywhere. Everything I've read says it isn't true at all. I have read studies saying that free range eggs have less cholesterol and generally more healthy for you.

It's false advertisement IMO.

If you have any links of studies I would love to have a look!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom