Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hens can actually change their sex. It happens very rarely and is usually happens after ovary damage. The now cockerel will never be fertile but will have a large comb, sickle feathers, pointed hackles and will even crow. I think that is where the misconception of a hen will change into a cockerel if there is none around comes from.
Wonder if that's where the old quote "Whistling girls and crowing hens both will come to no good ends" comes from? Listened to many an older member of my family quote that when they didn't like something the girls in the family were doing. LOL

Eggs come from cartons.... meat come from plastic/foam trays..... cereal comes from boxes....... cheese comes from the deli counter......oj used to come from cardboard cartons but the newest kinds come from plastic bottles.

what's the problem??

My mother in law says Eww Gross, They're too strong!

She said the same thing about the lamb I had slaughtered.

they have beckom accustomed to drab tstless things that were raised in unnatural conditions and fed things i would not eat if i were starving shot up with salt and even flavors to make meat tender and suckulabt its, like when you go off salt first everything is tastless and if you give if a few weeks try eating frenchfries or a steak from a restraunt and you will be making a pucker face from the over use of salt that you hadnt noticed before. trust me! i am one of those people.

Last edited:
I always love having my city friends come to visit and dine at our homegrown country table. They ooh-and-ahh that the fresh picked zucchini bleeds when you cut it, that the egg yolks are bright hued and the whites non-runny, that the fresh goat milk is the creamiest thing they've ever tasted (and no goaty taste), and that the roasted chicken isn't pasty/mealy in texture and has spectacular flavor. Indeed, several still rave about the best chicken (or turkey) dinner they ever ate was at my table.

Yeah, there's conveniences to living in the city, but we've got them beat. I'd much rather dine in ecstasy than marvel at how conveniently located that movie theater was that we just wasted a bunch o' bucks for some overrated cinematic drivel.

Funny happening, it was breeding season for the neighbor's sheep across the street and the ram was outfitted with the breast-plate chalk/dye marker to indicate what ewes he had serviced. He was busy because the sheep had all sorts of color smeared on them. City friends came up and wondered why the neighbors colored their sheep for Easter.

Hens can actually change their sex. It happens very rarely and is usually happens after ovary damage. The now cockerel will never be fertile but will have a large comb, sickle feathers, pointed hackles and will even crow. I think that is where the misconception of a hen will change into a cockerel if there is none around comes from.

Hens cannot change sexes. They will always be biologically female. Hens may take on male features and roles, but they won't change sex.

Certain species of frogs and lizards have been known to change sexes for continuation of that particular species. That's where the premise for the movie Jurassic Park came from. But if you haven't noticed, frogs and lizards are NOT chickens!

The dormant ovary (technically not an ovary but an ovatestis) in a hen, may, after a condition affecting her functioning ovary, cause changes in a hen, giving her male characteristics. She will not be able to reproduce as a rooster, and genetically she is still a hen, but her body is producing androgens, the male hormone. She won't lay eggs, either, so she lives in kind of a land betwixt and between - not really a hen anymore but not a rooster either. I thought that was so interesting when I read it.

dark brown is my favorite. I know it's all psychological. It reminds me of childhood and the ones my grandmother had. Hers were pretty dark comparatively, a nice medium brown, but now I ooh and aah over the Marans eggs. I will have some one day :)
I had never seen a blue or green chicken egg until I was an adult and they were from bantams, so I had to ask to figure out what the difference was. I also thought bantam was a breed for awhile because of how they explained it. I much prefer asking Google. Lol

Here's a bit of a funny.
A girl I know told me the egg color was determined by what they're fed, a common misconception. She was schooling me a bit bc I was talking about getting chickens for the first time. The thing that confused me was she'd been around chickens all her life.??? I don't know how you miss that. I asked her if she meant the shade or brown vs blue or green vs white. She said no, her grandma's eggs are brown bc all she feeds them is corn and corn is yellow...

The manager at the Tractor Supply store near me told me this recently. I asked what to feed them to get the green eggs (knowing that this is breed specific) he told me lots of leafy green veggies and kelp powder. I said "wow, my ladies get lots of leafy greens and they only lay various shades of brown eggs" he told me how lay green. I asked him what type if chickens he had? He tipped his head and said "hens". My husband poked me in the leg below the counter to keep me from countering. I simply said "oh!" And walked away. Yikes!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom