Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
my earliest memory with food is eating concord grapes off the vine in the backyard with my Grandad. Thanks for making me remember that... my second food memory is eating fried eggs... my gang turned 20 weeks old today, so maybe soon I will enjoy thinking about THAT memory while I eat some super fresh eggs!!!
Weren't those the best? Seeds and all. Didn't make any difference to me as a kid. My granddad lived in the suburban Detroit area and had a concord vine along his back fence. We would stuff ourselves with everything we could eat and still there were enough grapes for mom, my aunt, and grandma to put up enough jelly to last until next season. People used to compliment her all the time on the jelly. I couldn't see it at the time. It was homemade, so it wasn't as good as the Welch's storebought and besides I had homemade all the time. Now that I'm older I see the appeal of homemade. Much more fruity tasting.

Granddad also had a cherry tree that would fill us up during the summers and we could hardly wait until fall to get his Jonathan apples - paper thin skin, blinding white fruit, and just the perfect mix of tart and sweet to cap off a fall day.

oh... those days... we were in suburbia, but it was the 60's, so suburbia was still kind of rural. The people across the street had apple and pear trees, and they always invited us over to pick and eat as much as we could... so the apples, pears, our grapes and onion grass meant we played a mean game of "house"... !

OK, I'm on page 37 of this 120+ page thread and tears are rolling down my face and my cheeks hurt from laughing! I wish I had a really funny one to contribute, but what I am getting from acquaintances is really annoying. "Wow...since you will be having free eggs, can we come over and get some?" Free? Really? Tell that to my husband who just finished building a gorgeous coop and pays the feed bills!

Weren't those the best? Seeds and all. Didn't make any difference to me as a kid. My granddad lived in the suburban Detroit area and had a concord vine along his back fence. We would stuff ourselves with everything we could eat and still there were enough grapes for mom, my aunt, and grandma to put up enough jelly to last until next season. People used to compliment her all the time on the jelly. I couldn't see it at the time. It was homemade, so it wasn't as good as the Welch's storebought and besides I had homemade all the time. Now that I'm older I see the appeal of homemade. Much more fruity tasting.

Granddad also had a cherry tree that would fill us up during the summers and we could hardly wait until fall to get his Jonathan apples - paper thin skin, blinding white fruit, and just the perfect mix of tart and sweet to cap off a fall day.
Wow that was beautiful. Do you write for a food magazine? lol Made my mouth water.

I haven't checked all the pages so this may be a duplicate....

I posted a pic of our first duck egg on FB (we were very excited) a good friend who buys chicken eggs from us posted..."you don't eat those do you?? eww"...
idunno.gif
ummm yeah they are very similar to chicken eggs just bigger....

OK, I'm on page 37 of this 120+ page thread and tears are rolling down my face and my cheeks hurt from laughing! I wish I had a really funny one to contribute, but what I am getting from acquaintances is really annoying. "Wow...since you will be having free eggs, can we come over and get some?" Free? Really? Tell that to my husband who just finished building a gorgeous coop and pays the feed bills!

Yeah, free to your acquaintances, maybe. Ask them where they got the idea your eggs are "free". Then add it all up for them.

I have a mooch who's always looking for something for nothing, so I'm expecting her to come after some "free" eggs, too. I'm planning on telling her that if I have any *spare* eggs, I'll be happy to sell her some @ $79.99 per dozen. I figure that's what it'll take to break even. That should send her running for the hills. (wouldn't waste my beautiful eggs on a freeloader; let her eat the cheapest store bought eggs she can find)

My boss is loving my stories about the girls. I sent home a dozen eggs, including some green ones from my EE. Her youngest son, aged 6, wants to know when I'm going to get a "gold" one. I do too ... as a matter of fact, I'm counting on a gold one!

Last edited:
I loved growing up in a 'wicked city' but having a good-sized laying flock and a few pet banties. My parents had a big garden & mom canned a lot of our food. Most of our neighbors had chickens, ducks, and big gardens & fruit trees too. It always cracked me up to see the looks on people's faces when they saw how much food you could actually grow on a city lot. But our neighborhood had been homesteaded by Italian & Japanese truck farmers back in the day and the traditions were still there. Still are. Not every stereotype is true, thank goodness, or I'd have grown up with no clue about where my food comes from.

Now we live in a rural area, and it's tragic how many old-timer families with plenty of space look down on people who grow their own. Someone earlier on this thread mentioned the perception that we grow our own because we can't afford store-bought
th.gif
If I price what I grow the same as organic free-range etc there's no way I could buy even a fraction of it, not to mention homegrown is so much better. Silly people!

Quote:
Update: The 3 boys blew out the entire dozen eggs last night, and had a bedtime snack of scrambled eggs. Even these kids noticed the superior taste over store bought eggs!! The oldest boy, 13, thought it was so cool to be able to get food from your own yard, and says he now understands why I'm so "hooked" on my chickens. Now, he wants some!! I asked if the boys like strawberry jam, and she said it's their favorite. I was overrun with strawberries and have more jam than I know what to do with, so I'm going to give each boy his own jar. That should REALLY get their attention!

Yay! A convert!!
yesss.gif

The irony is that their family has lived in these mountains for over 100 years. They've built a home on family land, the old "homeplace" is at the top of their driveway, and her uncle still grows veggies every year. But, her husband is a city boy, with a very picky appetite ... he only eats junk/fast food ... so, she doesn't really cook.

I loved growing up in a 'wicked city' but having a good-sized laying flock and a few pet banties. My parents had a big garden & mom canned a lot of our food. Most of our neighbors had chickens, ducks, and big gardens & fruit trees too. It always cracked me up to see the looks on people's faces when they saw how much food you could actually grow on a city lot. But our neighborhood had been homesteaded by Italian & Japanese truck farmers back in the day and the traditions were still there. Still are. Not every stereotype is true, thank goodness, or I'd have grown up with no clue about where my food comes from.

Now we live in a rural area, and it's tragic how many old-timer families with plenty of space look down on people who grow their own. Someone earlier on this thread mentioned the perception that we grow our own because we can't afford store-bought
th.gif
If I price what I grow the same as organic free-range etc there's no way I could buy even a fraction of it, not to mention homegrown is so much better. Silly people!

My father owned one house he lived in when he moved off the farm to town and eventually bought the run down house next door for a song and while he was doing work on it to fix it up to rent it a man he never knew walked by and stopped and told him he used to own the house several years before and he dug by hand the entire back yard and planted a garden from the back wall of the house to the alleyway in back and that was his food for nearly the entire year what he never ate fresh got canned traded or sold and he had a years worth of vegitables in his yard just needed a little fruit, meat to get him by.

Yeah, free to your acquaintances, maybe. Ask them where they got the idea your eggs are "free". Then add it all up for them.

I have a mooch who's always looking for something for nothing, so I'm expecting her to come after some "free" eggs, too. I'm planning on telling her that if I have any *spare* eggs,  I'll be happy to sell her some @ $79.99 per dozen. I figure that's what it'll take to break even. That should send her running for the hills. (wouldn't waste my beautiful eggs on a freeloader; let her eat the cheapest store bought eggs she can find)

My boss is loving my stories about the girls. I sent home a dozen eggs, including some green ones from my EE. Her youngest son, aged 6, wants to know when I'm going to get a "gold" one. I do too ... as a matter of fact, I'm counting on a gold one!

I gave a woman down the street a dozen eggs cause they were over a week old and I didn't feel right selling them. She made breakfast tacos from them and came by to sell me some!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom