Dumor Chick Starter 24%

itsmatt

Songster
14 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Hi folks,

So we picked up some Dumor Chick Starter 24% today at Tractor Supply.

Does anyone know if I need to also add grit to this? My wife said the person at the store said "this is what you need". I'd like to believe them, but I'm sure plenty of folks here can set me straight on this. These will be the first chicks we've had and I'm trying to make sure I've got everything ready before they arrive.

Thanks,
Matt

Just add chicks
smile.png

What I was wondering is if this feed is medicated or not. This is the same food that I feed my chicks and I threw the bag away and dont remember weither it is or not.

Guess I made a false statement earlier. I use the 20%, but that is what the bag recommends. The 24% is for turkey, quail, chucker, and pheasant in the first 6 weeks. Sure it wont hurt them. It doesnt say anything about being medicated.

Quote:
Then how to I go about getting my chicks medicated? When I ordered from Ideal I opted not to have the shots for cocceris(spelling ?) I just assumed my feed was medicated..

Don't worry about medicated or not medicated feed. If it is medicated, it will most likly just be a coccocidstant. If it's not, just do slow introduction of your birds to the soil in their future run to get a slow exposure to the cocci and bugs in your soil. The "medication" is just to help them build their own immune systems.

They'll eat it, like they eat almost everything! Read up on the signs, symptoms, and prevention of coccidiosis so you know what to watch for.

Any medicated feed sold in the U.S. will have big letters on the feed tag (usually sewn into the top or bottom of the bag) that look like this:

"MEDICATED"

It's hard to miss. It should be the biggest word on the tag, positioned right underneath the name of the feed. The last paragraph on the tag, just above the weight of the bag and the manufacturer's address, is a paragraph on cautions and warnings that will tell you what NOT to do with a medicated feed.

Also, 24% is pretty hot. Save a dollar or two and go with the 20%. They just poop out the extra anyway, and who wants the additional ammonia in the coop?

Back
Top Bottom