Dumor layer feed got wet in the rain - can they eat it?

Granolamom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Dallas
I usually have a bowl of feed in the yard, because my free-range chicks like to come and snack on it throughout their daily meandering in the yard.
This morning, it rained for the first time in weeks, and I moved the food inside, but noticed that they were eating the wet feed that had been scratched out of their bowl and gotten rained on. Is this okay, or will it make them sick? It's going to be very hard to remove all of it, because it's in the grass.

If it's in the bag or the feeder when it gets wet, I toss it. If it's on the ground already, I let it go. It'll dry or be eaten too rapidly to get moldy.

Thanks for the response, guys! So, wet feed is not really the issue, but instead it's the mold that grows if the feed gets wet in the bag? Cool, I was kind of worried about them eating it out there in the yard, because they really seem to like it rain-wet.

Wet feed goes bad fast, like overnight. If my feed gets wet, I leave it till the next morning. The chickens think they've gotten a treat, and I have to toss less.

Back
Top Bottom