Dumped rooster

redguinea

Chirping
Dec 25, 2015
Land down under
Today when I went to feed all the animals I noticed a rooster mating with a free ranging hen and thought nothing of it until I relaised I took out the rooster from that yard a week before. So someone has dumped an unwanted rooster on me. It has scaly mite and probably other worms etc. I think its a isa brown cross rooster beacause he looks similar to cockerals I have bred, but I never let them get this big, I take them to market as soon as they are identified 100% as a rooster. Any ideas on breed/s?
[/IMG]

You do not need any particular breed, what you need is a particular set of pure color conditions....which are best knowable from purebreeds.

To get red sex link...

1. You need a red based male (RIR, NH, red based Wyandotte, Orpington, etc.)...it is best if the male is purebred so you don't have any lurking funky genes....he just needs to be what is considered red dominant...so anything that has a good red/orange base without a lot of black and most importantly no dominant white or lurking white (too much white trim).

2. You need a silver based female (Delaware, Silver Laced or Columbian something, *some* white Rocks)....it is again best to use purebred as you don't want funky genes and most importantly you don't want dominant white. Delaware is a good choice for that. White Rock often has hidden dominant white. You have to test that hen. Never use White Leghorn as that is dominant white.

Red rooster over Silver hen produces silver (yellow) down male chicks to grow into predominately white birds (with red bleed through) and red-gold down female chicks to grow into red birds with some white trim, lacing.

This is due to the way the dominant color (silver) is linked to the long allele (Z) and the fact that mom determines the gender in chickens.

Mom is ZW (female) while Dad is ZZ (male). The long Z allele carries certain colors and patterns (notably dominant silver and barring).

You must make sure mom is a dominant color type over dad...but not dominant white (which colors everything white for both genders).

Mom gives 1 gene (either Z or W) to the chick while dad gives 1 gene (either of his Z's) to the chick. You want mom's Z to carry the dominant pattern so that the resulting ZZ chicks reflect her dominant Z pattern showing they are ZZ male.

The girls will be Z (dad's red color) with mom's W (no dominant color) while the boys will be Z(mom's dominant silver) with Z (dad's non dominant red coloring).

Red is harder to achieve as you have to know the background genes a bit so that you can get a solid outcome. (Dominant white will skew everything as can dominant black).Darker reds work best to tell the chicks apart as it can be hard to see a light buff female background from a male silver yellow down background.

Black sex linking (barred linking) is easier to make.
1. Any non-barred rooster, often brown/red based, but just has to be non-barred....darker back ground color is better so that the chick's white barring head dot can be seen on dad's background color.

2. Most barred hens, they should have clear barring so that you know you've got a strong set of barring genes to pass along from mom.

ZW mom gives her barred Z to dad's background color Z....what you get then is a ZZ dominant barred male chick
Mom's W (non-barred) matches up with dad's non-barred Z and you get the non-barred ZW female chick with whatever background color is dominant or possible with the genes.

I've done this with barred black background Cal Greys (black girls, black barred boys) and with barred red-gold background Cream Legbars and Rhodebars (chipmunk girls, fuzzier chipmunk boys with clear head dot) and a Barnevelder rooster.

This formula works well because barring is so very dominant that it will cover up other stuff that might get in the way as long as you don't get wheaten or dominant white mixed in.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom